Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jo.R

My Daughter Tested Negative

A little history. My daughter had problems with pooping leaving sores in her rectum when she was 18 mo. The doctor said it was a dairy allergy so we went that route and she got over it. Last Oct. I was diagnosed with celiac disease. About six weeks ago the same daughter (now 4 1/2) started having nasty poop, and then she started only going a couple of times a week. Some times very nasty, sometimes mostly normal. I had her tested and it came out negative. I'm thinking of trying a gluten free diet for awhile to see if it changes things. Do you all think I should, and if so how long?

Stomach problems began November of 2005

Gall bladder removed April 2006

Positive Blood test October 2006

Refused endoscope

Gluten-free since January 21, 2007

Positive reaction to diet

The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; Blessed be the name of the Lord. Job 1:21b

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The tests come back as false negatives all the time. Give the gluten-free diet a few months and see if she starts to improve. The diet is the best way to see if someone is having gluten issues etc.

Jo,

No expert here, but I see no reason not to try going gluten free for her. I will not hurt. She is young and if she has a possitive dietary result, she may not recall gluten foods. Give it a try and see how it goes.

Best of luck to you.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Please give the diet a shot for a couple of months. The blood tests especially in children are notorious for being a false negative. Relying on blood tests alone has taken years from my life that I can never get back and has also resulted in some serious neuro problems that will be with me now forever. The diet is the true test and will not mask any other problems that may be present.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)