Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

debmidge

Attention Decifit Disorder

I am looking to find out if one of the foods to avoid for children with ADD is wheat or gluten? I thought I heard that avoiding wheat and/or gluten helps ADD? Did I hear correctly?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am looking to find out if one of the foods to avoid for children with ADD is wheat or gluten? I thought I heard that avoiding wheat and/or gluten helps ADD? Did I hear correctly?

Ded,

There is information here on the Site Index - Several articles about ADD. Just schroll down.

The gluten free diet has helped my ADD tremendously. That is one of the biggest benefits. I am so much more focused and alert than I've ever been before. I'm not saying the gluten free diet is the answer in every case of ADD, but it has certainly made a big difference in my life.

My son has improved on the gluten-free diet. His Ped was evaluating him for ADD/ADHD last Spring (2006). This was the same time frame that I was trying to get DS tested for Celiac and the Ped wasn't going for it b/c I wasn't biopsy confirmed. Ped finally ran the Celiac panel, DS was highly positive, had endoscopy & was diagnosed with Celiac. We went for the results of the ADD screening and Ped wanted to medicate DS. We refused until we could see the results of the gluten-free diet on his behaviors for 6 months or so. He did much better in school and his behvior improved. He is still a typical 11 yr old boy, but you can certainly see that he is able to focus now, where before he couldn't.

I am not saying that the 2 are always related, but I have read in a few different books/articles that these can be symptoms of Celiac/gluten intolerance. I do know that the lack of focus, irritability, hyperactivity and impulsivity were some of the only signs, other than occasional constipation, that he had of any issues at all.

My daughter has struggled with ADD since she started school. (She's in 4th grade now) We started the WFGF diet about 6 months ago - and she is doing DRAMATICALLY better this year. Her report card last week was mostly A's and B's! This is a kid that we have considered holding back every year since Kindergarten. The school and pediatricians have been pushing medication - but I was determined not to go there. My daughter is a completely different kid now. She's more cooperative, there aren't 3 hour homework battles any more, she happily participates in class, she wakes up easier in the morning, she's nicer to her sisters and to me! I have met several other moms who have had similar results with their children. One in particular whoose son had a severe case of ADHD - and going WFGF completely turned him around. I would suggest that you give it a try! The results are slow at first - it took about a month before we saw a real difference, and the effect was cumulative - I have heard that it takes 6 months to get it completely out of your system. That definitely seemed to be true with us. Good Luck! Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. :)

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

This is good advice. Some restaurants offer gluten-free menus or mark items with “GF” on their regular menu, and I try to eat at such places. I still talk to the manager when I order to be sure. 
    I've had a swollen gland in my neck similar to what you described.  I found that taking thiamine helps immensely.   Here's an article that you might find helpful..... http://wandererandhome.weebly.com/heal-yourself/vitamin-b1-th...
    Mummu said her daughter was "constantly nauseated, tired, and having little to no interest in eating.  She's lost weight and I'm worried she may be becoming depressed"   I agree with M.Martha.  The Autoimmune diet without dairy and...