This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Inconsistent Reactions To Glucose

Flynn

Flynn Newbie

I'm having blood work done on Thursday to test for Celiac as a possible cause for the diarrhea I've been experiencing over the last 6 weeks. It don't experience it every day, but I'm not regular and something is definitely going on.

Is it possible to have sporactic reactions to gluten? I don't experience diarrhea after every meal that contains wheat, etc. and am wondering if most people have a direct and immediate reaction to gluten as opposed to a more random occurance.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I'm guessing that you're really asking if intermittent reactions to gluten are normal. Glucose is a sugar and not related to celiac disease; gluten is a grain protein and the trigger for the autoimmune damage of celiac disease.

Yes, many people respond differently, and not everyone always get diarrhea after each meal.

smithnmo Newbie

I was wondering about random reactions as well as how long symptoms tend to last following exposure/ingestion of a gluten product? I had a positive blood test in May 2007 but can not say that the diet changes have made a significant difference. I did not have reactions from eating specifically gluten products previously - it was just IBS associated with random things. Yesterday I had a salad with dressing or spices that caused a reaction and I can't eat lunch today because I still feel sick. I'm struggling to determine if it is just gluten I have a problem with or if there is something else. Is there anything that might cause a positive blood test but not truly be celiac?

• 4 weeks later...
skooter Newbie
Glucose is a sugar and not related to celiac disease; gluten is a grain protein and the trigger for the autoimmune damage of celiac disease.

I've been doing some research into this and so far I've found that commercially produced glucose is derived from various plant starches, often including wheat.

Kaycee Collaborator

I have found products in NZ listed as having glucose syrup derived from wheat in them, expecially sweets.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
I have found products in NZ listed as having glucose syrup derived from wheat in them, expecially sweets.

Friday, for the first time ever, I saw an ingredient list that read: glucose/fructose (derived from wheat or corn), blah, blah, the rest of the ingredients. I'd never seen that before, and it was on something I'd heard was a safe product.

Lisa Mentor
I've been doing some research into this and so far I've found that commercially produced glucose is derived from various plant starches, often including wheat.

Skooter,

Would you kindly post a link to your research. I would like to see the research that indicates that glucose is often derived from wheat. :)

Should glucose be derived from wheat, it is required by law that it be listed as an ingredient, as 2boys4me indicated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Katydid Apprentice

As to sporadic reactions to gluten - In the early stages of my husbands celiac, prior to diagnosis, he very definitely had sporadic reactions. One day he would eat pancakes with no problem and then another day they would make him horribly sick. That's why it was so very hard to pin down the cause. It took 15 years from the first symptom.

As a matter of fac,t his symptoms actually cycled. He might be ok for three or four weeks, and then it would hit with a vengence. After a death in the family, which we think to be his trigger, his symptoms then became constant and he never had another well day until his diagnosis.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

In doing a bit of early morning searching I came up with quite a few entries that state a wheat derived source of glucose, and not just in Europe. If you check out McDonalds ingredient lists they use both wheat glucose and wheat dextrose in a few products. I wasn't able to figure out how to cut and paste from that site though. The best site for general info is the link below but I am sure there are others. I also pasted a couple ingredient lists.

Open Original Shared Link

Caramello unit contains milk, soya and glucose syrup (wheat). Cherry Ripe unit contains glucose syrup (wheat), milk and soya

Original - Soy Bean Sushi Wrapper - MameNori

Soybean protein, soy flour, glycerol, soybean oil, water, titanium dioxide color (glucose syrup [wheat], titanium dioxide, deionized water, gum acacial).

This article pertains to the use of wheat derived glucose in Europe and the fact that they consider it to be safe for us. Of course they also use Codex which many of us know is not safe enough.

Open Original Shared Link

Archived