Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zarfkitty

Gfcf Waffle Recipe (hubby Thought It Was The "real" Thing!)

Here's what I did (sorry it's not too scientific):

1. separate 4 eggs (yes, 4. I know it's a lot!)

2. set yolks aside

3. whip whites to stiff peaks, set aside

4. melt 4 TBSP "buttery stick" or similar

5. slowly whip melted "butter" into yolks

6. mix in 1 cup soy milk (or whatever)

7. add 1/2 tsp xanthan gum

8. add 1/4 tsp salt

9. add 2 TBSP sugar

10. add 1 1/2 tsp baking powder

11. add 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

12. in a dry 1/2 cup measure, fill about a third of it with potato starch

13. full the remaining space in the 1/2 cup measure with gluten-free flour mix

14. mix well

15. carefully fold egg whites into the batter

Use your waffle iron's instructions. I get four round waffles. They're really fluffy (read: eggy) but I like them that way. I prefer waffles to scrambled eggs.

We used Aunt Jemima syrup.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Sounds wonderful. I used to make them with egg whites that you fluffed up and added the other stuff to. They were so light they almost floted. I will enjoy being able to eat a good waffle again.

Thanks,

Yellow Rose

Other than the fluffiness, is there any reason to separate the eggs?

I've used the Pamela's brand pancake mix using the batter as described for pancakes and as described for waffles (eggs whites whipped separately), cooking both times in a waffle iron. While I liked the waffle directions better, I wasn't convinced that they were enough better to justify the extra effort.

Other than the fluffiness, is there any reason to separate the eggs?

I've used the Pamela's brand pancake mix using the batter as described for pancakes and as described for waffles (eggs whites whipped separately), cooking both times in a waffle iron. While I liked the waffle directions better, I wasn't convinced that they were enough better to justify the extra effort.

The whipped egg whites provide more leavening action. *I* can tell the difference but I also might be extra picky.

Back in my wheat-OK days I skipped the egg white step when I was in a hurry. And it always made the waffle feel "flat." Kind of like the difference between a fresh can of soda and one you put in the fridge to save for later.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

The doctor did 8 biopsy from the top of my throat to the bottom of my stomach....he thought I had H-Hyploi..but I did not. I am beginning to think they are missing my issues. He gave me some pump inhibitors, that's it. I have an appt. with...
    Your doctor would run a blood tests (ask for full celiac panel) and then confirm with endoscopy and biopsy celiac doesn't always show up on endoscopy and sometimes the biopsy is what confirms.  
    How is one tested for Celiac Disease? I have had several endoscopes and the lower part too and none of the doctors have said anything about it. I have BIG issues with bloating, severe pain in my upper chest (under the chest bone), at times...