Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Luisa2552

New To The Celiac World

Hello all. I am glad to have found this site. I have had GI problems for years. After doing my own food trials I discovered I was fine if I avoided wheat (not gluten, just wheat) An upper abdo pain finally got me to a GI guy and he did the blood tests that came back positive for the antigens and that I probably have Celiac. I go for a biopsy next week. I'm taking as much in as I can and I'm sure I'll have many questions as this thing plays out, but today my questions are about my kids. Did moms/dads out there have their kids screened? I look at the list of symptoms and can definately fit my kids into a few of them. My oldest (11) has been a veggie for 3 years. No GI problems at all and no growth problems (she's already 5'5"). Her 12 year molars are coming in with holes in the enamel and i have read this to be one of the signs of Celiac. All her other teeth are beautiful. My youngest(8) is a diffferent story. Average height, always has been super thin. Between 7 and 8 she gained 3 pounds. Often complains of stomach aches and sometimes has HUGE soft bm's. This child is easily irritated and has some difficulties with school work. Lately she's had an intermittent rash of pimple type things come and go from her upper back. Don't know if this is somehow related.

Should i wait to see what my biopsy comes back as? I did 2 weeks totally gluten free and I felt like a different person. I had energy that I haven't had as long as I can remember. So no matter what the bopsy shows I will follow a gluten free diet. Doc says not to stay 100% gluten-free until after biopsy so I'm back to my gassy, bloated tired self!

Will the blood tests be enough for the kids or do they need biopsys too?

One more quick question- I love to cook and have amassed quite a collection of utensils and cookware. Assuming my house and everything I cook will be gluten free, will running everything through the dishwasher be sufficient?

Hello all. I am glad to have found this site. I have had GI problems for years. After doing my own food trials I discovered I was fine if I avoided wheat (not gluten, just wheat) An upper abdo pain finally got me to a GI guy and he did the blood tests that came back positive for the antigens and that I probably have Celiac. I go for a biopsy next week. I'm taking as much in as I can and I'm sure I'll have many questions as this thing plays out, but today my questions are about my kids. Did moms/dads out there have their kids screened? I look at the list of symptoms and can definately fit my kids into a few of them. My oldest (11) has been a veggie for 3 years. No GI problems at all and no growth problems (she's already 5'5"). Her 12 year molars are coming in with holes in the enamel and i have read this to be one of the signs of Celiac. All her other teeth are beautiful. My youngest(8) is a diffferent story. Average height, always has been super thin. Between 7 and 8 she gained 3 pounds. Often complains of stomach aches and sometimes has HUGE soft bm's. This child is easily irritated and has some difficulties with school work. Lately she's had an intermittent rash of pimple type things come and go from her upper back. Don't know if this is somehow related.

Should i wait to see what my biopsy comes back as? I did 2 weeks totally gluten free and I felt like a different person. I had energy that I haven't had as long as I can remember. So no matter what the bopsy shows I will follow a gluten free diet. Doc says not to stay 100% gluten-free until after biopsy so I'm back to my gassy, bloated tired self!

One more quick question- I love to cook and have amassed quite a collection of utensils and cookware. Assuming my house and everything I cook will be gluten free, will running everything through the dishwasher be sufficient?

Welcome Luisa, this is a great place to learn. There isn't much about Celiac that can't be answered here.

I will leave your questions regarding your children to those that have young ones.

Regarding your kitchen, I would loose all the wooded spoons, scratched non-stick pans and pots. Purchase a new toaster and a bread machine is you have those.

I have cleaned out my drawers to remove any traces of crumbs from my previous life. If you have used containers to store gluten flours, either replace of scrub well.

Most dishes and glasses do well in a dishwasher. The heat does not remove the gluten, rather the soap and the action removed the particles.

I would give your pots and pans that are still fit for use a very good scrubbing to remove any residue remaining.

I know that this is a lot to take in, but you seem well on your way. Good luck to you and feel free to join us at any time.

I'm new to all of this too. My 3 year old was just diagnosed by blood tests, we're awaiting an appointment with GI to decide about the biopsy. The symptoms you've described your children having match my daughter's symptoms (slow weight gain, skin issues, irritability, tummy trouble). My other daughters do not have any symptoms but we will be talking to the GI about running the blood panel on them, just in case. If I were in your shoes, I think I would at least have the blood panel done.

Hello & Welcome

You will find a wealth of info here from medical info to some of the best gluten free cooks.... Be sure to take time to check out the recipe link.

When I first started out almost five years ago I scrubbed my stainless spots & pans then I boiled scalding water & set them in that several times. I would not use any thing that was porous to hold stuff into it...Stainless is a good choice. I also did the same cleaning of my measuring spoons & so on...

I did buy a new bread maker . I use the toaster I had but I use the toasta bags for my toast. Now I also will say if you are one who never cleaned crumbs from your toaster I would get a new one for gluten-free only...

One thing about this diet is if you try it & it makes you feel better by all means stay on the diet. But if you are not celiacs or gluten intolerant & you are trying it for other ailments & it doesn't work the stop the diet. It is that simple... I feel this diet helps many ailments so I know many who stay on because it just makes them feel better...

It to me doesn't need a doctors seal of AMA approval.... We know our body & what makes us fell better.

good Luck

mamaw

I did have both children tested - they are both positive for the celiac gene, but negative for the antibodies. My daughter, though, has stomach issues which could be related; for now, I am keeping an eye on both of them. They already know that I will have them retested regularly.

My pediatrician's son is celiac - she refused to have him biopsied, because he had classic symptoms (like your younger child) and his blood tests were positive, and she felt it was unnecessary to put him through the procedure. That's the way I would go if I were you, unless you feel the procedure is absolutely necessary.

I did have both children tested - they are both positive for the celiac gene, but negative for the antibodies. My daughter, though, has stomach issues which could be related; for now, I am keeping an eye on both of them. They already know that I will have them retested regularly.

My pediatrician's son is celiac - she refused to have him biopsied, because he had classic symptoms (like your younger child) and his blood tests were positive, and she felt it was unnecessary to put him through the procedure. That's the way I would go if I were you, unless you feel the procedure is absolutely necessary.

I figure I'll have them both tested for the antibodies. If they are + then they'll be gluten-free. It'll mean some changes for my vegetarian 'cause right now I do quite a bit of whole wheat for her. Even if the only one is + this house in going gluten-free! Not sure what's involved for the gene testing. I'm adopted so I have little backround. Some of the health history I have from my birth-mothers side includes early osteopirosis in the women. Wonder if they were undiagnosed celiacs.

I balked at having the biopsy done on myself, let alone my kids. Antibody tests possitive and I got better gluten-free, but the GI doc talked me into it no only to confirm celiac disease but to check the amount of damage. Is this really so?? I know it's supposed to be quick and easy but I'm a bit squeamish!!!

I figure I'll have them both tested for the antibodies. If they are + then they'll be gluten-free. It'll mean some changes for my vegetarian 'cause right now I do quite a bit of whole wheat for her. Even if the only one is + this house in going gluten-free! Not sure what's involved for the gene testing. I'm adopted so I have little backround. Some of the health history I have from my birth-mothers side includes early osteopirosis in the women. Wonder if they were undiagnosed celiacs.

I balked at having the biopsy done on myself, let alone my kids. Antibody tests possitive and I got better gluten-free, but the GI doc talked me into it no only to confirm celiac disease but to check the amount of damage. Is this really so?? I know it's supposed to be quick and easy but I'm a bit squeamish!!!

With positive blood work, that in itself is a diagnoses. Yes, the biopsy MAY confirm you diagnosis, but it can be hit and miss - there is over 20 some feet of intestines in there. The endoscopy is also used to detect the amount of damage.

I have had and endo and biopsy and the worst thing about was the jitters before they knock me out. It was over in no time and I have no recall. No ill effects, other than a slight soar throut.