Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

trishydee

Gluten-free In Obx

Hi All,

I know this topic has been discussed in the past, but things change (restaurants close, stores move, etc)...

anyway, we're travelling to OBX (Duck) for the first time in 2 weeks. Does anyone know of any gluten-free restaurants or stores that sell gluten-free foods? I'm especially interested in frozen stuff--it's so expensive to order frozen foods!

Thanks so much! :blink:

I am going to give general information since I have no idea OBX is.

When I go somewhere new I look for stores by looking at the the specialty gluten free food maker sites. They usually have a link to stores that carry their food. I then call the store and get their hours and ask about the selection of gluten free food.

The other avenue I use is to use the store locator on the Wild Oats and Whole Food sites. You may find one within a reasonable driving distance.

Lastly, if I am driving, I pack the car with everything I need, including premade meals. The cold items in an ice chest. If you will not have a refrigerator at your destination change the ice every day.

Have a nice trip.

Hi All,

I know this topic has been discussed in the past, but things change (restaurants close, stores move, etc)...

anyway, we're travelling to OBX (Duck) for the first time in 2 weeks. Does anyone know of any gluten-free restaurants or stores that sell gluten-free foods? I'm especially interested in frozen stuff--it's so expensive to order frozen foods!

Thanks so much! :blink:

I don't get up to Duck much because of the summer traffic congestion. I do know that there is a Food Lion there that should have have some gluten free waffle and perhaps some Amy's frozen foods. Although, I don't know of any specific health food stores in Duck, you could look them up in the phone book. I'm sure there should be one or two.

Most of the Deli's should be able to accommodate you for sandwiches. Boars Head meats and Cheeses should be readily available.

Driving south to Kitty Hawk there is a health food store where I can get Kinnkinnick (sp) frozen breads and cereal. It is located next to the Outer Banks Bread Company.

For a casual lunch or dinner out, go to High Cotton - Mile Post 1, Kitty Hawk. It is a family place with red and white table clothes. They have the best BBQ Chicken and Ribs that I have verified that they are gluten free. The chief is very friendly and aware of Celiac as a family member is Celiac.

Hope this is helpful. Maybe when you get here, the weather will cool down a bit. Currently we are in the high 90's. Make sure you bring some "sand shoes".

Have a great time on the Outer Banks, NC