Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dally099

Ra-and Celiac Genes (rhumatoid Arthritis), Swollen Fingers

so im starting to think that im in the early stages of RA ugh, swollen fingers, ankles, knees, pain when they are swollen etc. so i was looking on the net and it seems that if you are DQ2 or DQ8 these are the genes for RA as well as celiac, RA is autoimmune as well so it makes sense. wondering how many others out there suffer wi th this as well. its interesting, im an 0502 and 0302 and from what i was reading this is the gene pool for RA. going to see my doc in sept when he is back from holidays but just thought that this was interesting as ive seen a few people on here lately mentioning swelling in the fingers especially hard to bend etc. food for thought (would be nice if it was cinnomen buns for thought :lol: ) (wishfull thinking (dont mention the rice flour ones ICK!!)

nadine :P

so im starting to think that im in the early stages of RA ugh, swollen fingers, ankles, knees, pain when they are swollen etc. so i was looking on the net and it seems that if you are DQ2 or DQ8 these are the genes for RA as well as celiac, RA is autoimmune as well so it makes sense. wondering how many others out there suffer wi th this as well. its interesting, im an 0502 and 0302 and from what i was reading this is the gene pool for RA. going to see my doc in sept when he is back from holidays but just thought that this was interesting as ive seen a few people on here lately mentioning swelling in the fingers especially hard to bend etc. food for thought (would be nice if it was cinnomen buns for thought :lol: ) (wishfull thinking (dont mention the rice flour ones ICK!!)

nadine :P

Or perhaps RA is actually the autoimmune celiac reaction that has chosen to attack the joints rather than the just the intestines. I wonder how many doctors suggest trying the diet strictly as a first mode of treatment rather than the expensive and toxic drugs I was given over the years. Not many I think. But I do know for sure that I would not have the permanent damage I do now if they had. I have only had a couple flares now in over 4 years.

Or perhaps RA is actually the autoimmune celiac reaction that has chosen to attack the joints rather than the just the intestines. I wonder how many doctors suggest trying the diet strictly as a first mode of treatment rather than the expensive and toxic drugs I was given over the years. Not many I think. But I do know for sure that I would not have the permanent damage I do now if they had. I have only had a couple flares now in over 4 years.

Mmmm - I wonder this too.

My hubby was dx with Psoriatic Arthritis (similar to RA) 2 yrs before his dx of celiac disease.

Unfortunately like you damage has been done (lost quite alot of range of movements in some joints - especially elbows <_< ) but his 'flare ups' happen alot less and seemingly less severe.

I can't help but wonder if he'd got his celiac disease dx earlier he might have avoided the arthritis??

Of course this isn't true for all .Some folks have celiac disease and are gluten-free AND go on to develop RA.

...and the toxic drugs???....did you have Methotrexate too??? (oh gosh was hubby ill on that! ..evil!!)

I have RA too. I've known about the gluten issue for 7 or 8 years but was only diagnosed with ra 2.5 years ago. My dr. doesn't think there's any connection but she also said food does not affect ra (I know better just from my flares! and there's plenty of research to back up a connection).

I'm on methotrexate, plaquenil, prednisone. I hate the drugs but I hated being bedridden for 2 months more....

I'm on methotrexate, plaquenil, prednisone. I hate the drugs but I hated being bedridden for 2 months more....

Absolutely - you HAVE to do whatever it takes.

When hubby was on prednisolone (prescribed for his non healing celiac disease) his joints were marvellous!! - hubby used to say it was a shame he couldn't stay on it!! :unsure:

He's now on a weekly injection of an anti-TNF (a relatively new drug) for the PA and so far so good (ESR coming down :D )

yup prednisone is wonderfull its a shame that the long term affects from it are so bad, i was on it for 3 months and my doc made me come off it.

My youngest was diognosed with JRA at 6 yrs old. She almost died from all the meds she was given. By the time she was in 8th grade she was taking 11 different meds all adult doses. She started having a really bad headache that lasted for a month. They took cat scans, said it was sinus infection, migraines, tension headaches, cluster headaches, that she was psycotic and needed to be checked into a hospital, that I was nuts too. We took her to an allergist and she was about to blow a vein in her temple. Two more days and I would have found her dead. He took her off all her meds and checked her out. Took her off wheat, milk, rice, and beef for 30 days and all her symptoms dissappered. She has been fine ever since. She can now eat wheat, milk and beef but not rice. It makes her hurt all over again. She has never been checked for celiac but looking back at this I have encouraged her to get tested. She doesn't want to know. But she sees me getting better and I keep hoping she will go and get checked out.

Yellow Rose