Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

~alex~

Bulk Food Stores

When I was at a bulk food store the other day, I noticed that they had a section with potato flour, buckwheat flour, rice flour and the like. I contemplated buying some stuff for any future baking but then started to worry that gluten cross contamination might be an issue.

I was worried about the possibility of scoops being accidentally switched resulting in contamination. These flours weren't too physically close to regular wheat flour but the possibility still worried me. Has anyone had any experience with buying flours or similar items from bulk food stores? Are they generally safe or not worth the risk? I do my best to be very careful so sometimes it's hard to tell if I'm being unreasonably careful.

Thanks

Guest j_mommy

Did you speak with the store reguarding that????

It is a valid concern...I haven't tried bluck buying like that....Don't have the option where I live!

Good Luck!

I would only buy it if the store is knowledgeable about cross contamination and if they don't switch bins or switch around locations of the products. I only buy bulk at Bob's Red Mill because they are very knowledgeable and they do not switch the bins and flours around. They even have all the gluten free flours together. Buying in bulk can be risky, but if you feel that it is safe where you shop, you can save lots of money. I'm never moving away from BRM. B)

I'm never moving away from BRM. B)

If I lived in Portland, I wouldn't move either. The BRM store is like a candy store! So many great things to buy there.

just a thought, but probably the majority of the people buying these gluten free flours would also be concerned about cross-contamination so the risk may not be too bad. personally, if we had bulk gluten free flours available to us, i would give them a try for my girls.