Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green12

Liver Disease And Celiac?

I had fluctuating liver function tests. An ultrasound indicated cirrhosis. As a screening the GI ordered a lot of tests including one for celiac. I had not had significant GI symptoms typical of celiac prior to this. I am suspicious of some upset stomach episodes in hindsight.

That's one data point of a GI who thinks celiac with liver problems.

Note: The liver tests have returned to normal on a gluten-free diet.

I had fluctuating liver function tests. An ultrasound indicated cirrhosis. As a screening the GI ordered a lot of tests including one for celiac. I had not had significant GI symptoms typical of celiac prior to this. I am suspicious of some upset stomach episodes in hindsight.

That's one data point of a GI who thinks celiac with liver problems.

Note: The liver tests have returned to normal on a gluten-free diet.

I have a couple people in my life who are now dealing with serious liver issues, last stage cirhosis and cancerous tumors in the liver. It breaks my heart if something as simple as eliminating gluten from the diet could have been a preventitive measure, or something that could have been reversed, in these two cases.

That's great news your liver tests have returned to normal with the diet.

Thanks for the info.

I have a couple people in my life who are now dealing with serious liver issues, last stage cirhosis and cancerous tumors in the liver. It breaks my heart if something as simple as eliminating gluten from the diet could have been a preventitive measure, or something that could have been reversed, in these two cases.

That's great news your liver tests have returned to normal with the diet.

Thanks for the info.

It breaks my heart too. I lost my twin at 15 due to autoimmune liver destruction. Our whole family could have been poster children for celiac but no one ever even checked. My liver enzymes were always elevated before diagnosis, but I was a closet drinker according to my doctors and just lied about it, yea right. My enzymes are now at normal levels.