This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Itchy Bumps Behind My Ears

ElenaDragon

ElenaDragon Explorer

I have been gluten free for a month now. I have not been diagnosed with celiac (bloodwork was negative), but am giving the diet a try to see if it helps. Yesterday the backs of both my ears started itching and by this morning there are lots of tiny bumps. I have been camping for the past week, and although I've been careful, it's certainly possible that some gluten has gotten in. I've never had bumps like this before I went gluten free though. Could this be DH?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cdford Contributor

DH is always a possibility, but having been camping it could also be poison ivy/oak. They look and feel similar if you have not ever had them at the same time.

ElenaDragon Explorer

Thanks for the response. :) I'm fairly certain it is not poison ivy or poison oak since I am very familiar with what those look like and was watching out for them on the trip. Also, it was only the backs of my ears and nowhere else on my body (like my legs or arms, which would be more common). One thing that was unusual for me was that I got more sun on that area because I had my hair up and was wearing a ball cap (and was out hiking for a few of the days). I wore sunscreen, but I probably missed the backs of my ears. They don't feel sunburned though, mainly itchy and a little tender. The bumps are still there now four days after they appeared, although I think they have lessened a bit. Still itchy though.

CtheCeliac Rookie
I have been gluten free for a month now. I have not been diagnosed with celiac (bloodwork was negative), but am giving the diet a try to see if it helps. Yesterday the backs of both my ears started itching and by this morning there are lots of tiny bumps. I have been camping for the past week, and although I've been careful, it's certainly possible that some gluten has gotten in. I've never had bumps like this before I went gluten free though. Could this be DH?

If I get glutened through cross-contamination, I have DH problems on the back of my ears. How annoying, huh?

JennyC Enthusiast

My son gets bumpy, flaky, itchy skin behind his ears also. It responds to Elidel (sp?), which is an eczema medication. Maybe you could get some samples from your doctor to see if it helps. :)

ElenaDragon Explorer

Thanks for the responses. :) The bumps are gone, still a little itchy though (the back of my head has been kind of itchy too, not sure if it is related). I guess the best thing to do is to wait and see if it happens again. If it was an isolated incident, then it was probably something from camping.

• 3 weeks later...
cdford Contributor
Thanks for the responses. :) The bumps are gone, still a little itchy though (the back of my head has been kind of itchy too, not sure if it is related). I guess the best thing to do is to wait and see if it happens again. If it was an isolated incident, then it was probably something from camping.

Just checking in on you. When I get glutened, even slightly, the first places that will itch are in my scalp and around my ears. Then my face, neck, and down my arms and legs. It starts at the top and marches downward!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived