Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alaska

Jobs Ect...

Does anyone else have trouble holding down a regular job? I am a Children's Librarian and just got offered a great job but after a few day's had to opt out because I'm just not a reliable employee anymore. I'm wondering if I'll ever be able to function in the world again. I was also just told I have candida as well, which doesn't help. Is this as good as it gets or can you really get better. I've never had many of the GI trouble, thank goodness. Mostly the neuro problems, brain fog, left side trouble. Has anyone had any success dealing with this?

Just wanted to let you people know I think you're the greatest. This certainly doesn't effect the heart and kindness.

The Greeks always say it's the heart that matters! That's definitely evident here. Efkaristo everyone.

Definitely something I'm worried about right now too as I am supposed to be going back to work full-time after the summer off. No stamina, off days, and continued issues make it hard for me to believe that I can be the reliable employee that I was a short while ago. Don't know what I'll do yet but am going to try it out and see from there. I have an upcoming appointment at Mayo Clinic to hopefully figure out if this is Celiac recovery for me or if I have something else going on too. Maybe that's why we aren't healing as quickly. I hope that this is temporary though and a part of getting better. Good luck to you.

After years of traditional drs just not figuring out my health problems or brushing me off with the standard "It's female problems!" etc. I now look heavily to alternative Drs. Go to traditional Drs for certain critical issues like cancers etc, but the alternative holistic drs are the ones who know how to make your body work together and work properly. Get them to recommend some high quality good for your particular body vitamins and minerals and you will see a world of difference. I have always had the best luck with the holistic drs recommended from healthfood stores or someone you know.

Hope you feel better soon, and yes, your body will settle down and you will be able to hold down a normal job and be a healthy person again. Sometimes it just takes a while to get your body to heal and start functioning again.

I also found it difficult to work a regular full-time job. I was diagnosed last fall, while out on medical leave (I couldn't work at all at that point). I ended up quitting my job after a few very frustrating months back at work. My brain fog and fatigue, although better once off gluten, interfered too much for me to do a good job. So, I am now doing consulting work part-time. It is much better, but I still have difficulty with deadlines when I'm not feeling great. I am hoping this will get better over time.

I hope you are able to find something that works better for you (part-time? flexible hours?). How long have you been gluten-free? I am also curious about how others manage to work, and if it does get better after the first year or two.

I found I had a much worse time prediagnosis at work than after. Once I got onto the diet the GI problems I was having which was what was the problem at my job more or less cleared up. This was a help. The rest of the problems eventually worked out and I was fine. I found what helped me was getting my body on a routine. At the time I was working 2nd shift, so I made sure to eat lunch at a certain time and to stick to it. Not sure if this will help or not. Another thing that was a big bother for me was worrying...worrying if I would get sick or if everything would fall apart.