This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Mall Food Courts?

amberleigh

amberleigh Contributor

I am a SAHM of 3 kiddos and we do a lot of playdates at malls...so my lunch options are hugely limited (unless I bring something from home, which I may start doing). Burger King has a garden salad and their ranch dressing was okay (it was in a packet with the ingredients on it). I guess there's still a chance of cc with the salad though. Same with McDonald's.

But I was shocked when I went to a few places that couldn't tell me the ingredients of their dressings!?!? Subway was one of them! And 2 different Subways at that. :angry:

So...what do you eat in situations like this?

Our Super Wal-Mart has a Subway in it and since the salad was out b/c I didn't know about the dressing...I went with apple slices, yogurt, and cool ranch Doritos. Nice lunch...LOL!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

confusedks Enthusiast

I try to stick to mexican type foods. We have La Salsa or Baja fresh. A chicken taco with tortilla is always fine for me. Otherwise it is really hard to eat gluten-free at malls. Bringing food sounds like a good idea. Or you could just bring a salad dressing and buy a salad.

Kassandra

Eriella Explorer

Be careful-- not all salads are gluten free. The chicken in them is often soaked in wheat-filled broth.

If there is a wendy's at the food court, get a baked potato and a chili or a garden salad and waffle fry from Chic-fil-a. Other than that, I bring my own food.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I have steered clear from the food courts, doesn't seem to much in the safe area. I am in a smaller area so we don't have chik-fil-a there either. Ours are mainly Taco Bell, Wendy's, Pizza of some sort, and a sub shop. Tough choices.

bfarnsworth0709 Rookie

Taco Bell's Steak Fiest Bowl is DELICIOUS!!! And is gluten free if you don't get the Jalepino sauce. I add Sour Cream and Guacamole and it is my favorite meal. I eat it atleast once a week.

Taco Bell lists their gluten free items on the website and actually have quite a few choices.

Lisa Mentor

Open Original Shared Link

Taco Bell has the least amount of gluten free foods that I know of, let alone the cross contamination risks. Rice, Pinto Beans, and a Tostado are the only items that are gluten free.

Please be cautious with TB.

EDIT: There is a very small section at the bottom of their site for the gluten sensitive. It is very difficult to see and almost goes unnoticed. I can't help but wonder why?

bfarnsworth0709 Rookie

For those interested...I have never had a problem with the CC at Taco Bell. They are always great to accommodate my needs. For example, on Saturday I requested they use a new glove to make my steak fiesta bowl. I feel like it's hard to find fast food places with choices that are gluten free. For example, KFC only has two items, the potato salad and the coleslaw. I copied the five items below from tacobell.com, but I think 5 items is quite a few. Maybe it's because I am from a small town in Nebraska and don't have all of the choices that larger towns do. None of our restaurants actually have gluten free menu's like Outback or PF Changs, we have to drive 3 hours to enjoy those luxuries.

As always each person is completely different, and CC can effect others in different ways so you always have to be careful and do what is best for you.

God Bless,

Bobbi

Suggestions for Wheat and Gluten Sensitive Individuals

- Tostada

- Fiesta Taco Salad (order Chicken instead of Beef; order without the shell and without the Red Strips)

- Express Taco Salad (order Chicken instead of Beef)

- Zesty Chicken BORDER BOWL

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

Subway would worry me because of all the bread around, but if you to go their website they have a table that shows allergens, including wheat and gluten. I think all of their dressings but one are gluten-free.

richard

Archived