Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

j9n

College Senior Project

Hi my name is Janine and I am currently finishing up my college degree (at the age of 45!!). For my senior project I decided to create a web page that allows people with food allergies/intolerances to find recipes easily based on their specific needs. The basic idea is to select items you want to avoid, then select the items you want to include. For example, you have on hand chicken breasts, tomatoes, etc but you only want to see recipes that exclude gluten, eggs, and lactose. The search engine will then bring up only those recipes for your needs.

My questions are:

Would you find this web site to be helpful for you?

Do you have any recipes that you would like to share with me? If so how would you like to me give credit for the recipe (your first name, alias, or not at all)?

Would you be will to review my proposal and give me feed back that I can turn into my instructor?

Do you have any suggestions for this web site?

Thank you so much for anything you would like to share with me!!

That would be great, but I don't have a clue how you could do it. Daughter and I have multiple food allergies so it is rare for me to find a recipe I can use without making modifications.

I really like this idea and I think it would be very helpful.

I love to cook and I spend a fair amount of time searching and sifting through recipes, trying to find the ones that are free of the foods I am allergic/sensitive to, and a lot of the times it's not an easy task. Your concept would cut out a lot of that time and make it simpler.

Like this search engine for Allergy Grocer: http://www.allergygrocery.com/search.php it would be heaven to have that feature for recipes according to all the top allergens!

That would be great, but I don't have a clue how you could do it. Daughter and I have multiple food allergies so it is rare for me to find a recipe I can use without making modifications.

What types of allegies do you have (If you don't mind me asking). The first thing my web page will do is to eliminate all recipes based on your specific allergy. So far I have Soy, Gluten, Corn, Peanuts, Treenuts, Lactose, Egg, Nitrates, Sulfites. What else should I include? I did not specifically include shellfish or fish since the second part of my search will be to include various things, such as beef, tomatos, etc.

Right now this is still conceptual but I am closer to getting a basic site up and running.

Thanks!

So far I have Soy, Gluten, Corn, Peanuts, Treenuts, Lactose, Egg, Nitrates, Sulfites. What else should I include?

Casein and Sugar (or sweetner of any kind)

Salycilates (aspirin). Occur naturally in MANY products (fresh fruits and veggies come immediately to mind). I am also allergic to most of the items that you had already included in your list. Oh yes, I am allergic to nightshades (and since many recipes substitute potato starch for wheat it can be a real pain!). So, I would love some new ideas as I honestly eat a total of maybe 10 different things!

Good Luck on your project.

Fran

If anyone would like to review my presentation and give me feed back you can find it at:

http://www.dinnerfinder.com/presentation/j..._Oct14_demo.htm

Thanks!

I took a look at your presentation and I think it's great!!

This really was such a good concept and you did an awesome job with it.

The only thing I would add is casein to the top allergy lists, but you noted that in the preseantation you were going to add that.

So, wonderful job! I give it an A++++

Hi my name is Janine and I am currently finishing up my college degree (at the age of 45!!). For my senior project I decided to create a web page that allows people with food allergies/intolerances to find recipes easily based on their specific needs. The basic idea is to select items you want to avoid, then select the items you want to include. For example, you have on hand chicken breasts, tomatoes, etc but you only want to see recipes that exclude gluten, eggs, and lactose. The search engine will then bring up only those recipes for your needs.

My questions are:

Would you find this web site to be helpful for you?

Do you have any recipes that you would like to share with me? If so how would you like to me give credit for the recipe (your first name, alias, or not at all)?

Would you be will to review my proposal and give me feed back that I can turn into my instructor?

Do you have any suggestions for this web site?

Thank you so much for anything you would like to share with me!!

You have a FANTASTIC idea!! I would love to be able to use it. It is probably most usefull to those who have just begun the gluten free diet. I know that I have alot of challenges because i have so many other foods i have to avoid. Unfortunately corn is one of them. (as well as dairy) When i can work out some decent recipies I would be happy to share them with you. Credit is not necessary.