Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ok, made the one mistake in salsa-- label said vinager.... just vinager.. I knew I shouldn't but I did.. just very little on my three tacos... OH MY GOD!!!!!! I THINK I DIED! ALL NIGHT LONG I WAS PRAYING FOR MERCY! it wasn't until 5:00 am I fell sleep. .. I Know what An A** I am.. stupid. I knew it was wrong and I thought .. oh a little won't hurt... even said," I probably shouldn't do this".. I didn't feel like making meatloaf.. and thought hey taco's would be great , But I was out of Gluten free salsa by the time the meat was cooked and I was setting the table it was to late I did the deed.. and ate my poison. :blink: never never never again...

if it's labeled "vinegar", just like that, nothing else, on a package label, it means apple cider vinegar, and is gluten free. you may want to look at what else you ate.

My understanding and research reveals that unless it says "MALT Vinegar" it IS gluten-free!!

I've never had a problem with anything with just plain "vinegar" or "Distilled vinegar".....

Yes, might want to check the Taco Shells or something else.

You could be sensitive to something else in the salsa, as stated it 'should' be gluten-free. You may want to call the company just to check for sure. What did you use to season the meat? Many of the packaged seasonings are not safe, some are, I don't use them any more so don't know specific brands. Also the taco shells would be suspect if they are not made in a dedicated facility. There are some of us who do react to gluten vinegars, most tolerate but not all. But in the US any vinegar that is just labeled as 'vinager' is apple cider vinegar. Also how much cheese was in the tacos? If you are new to the diet you may not be digesting dairy as well as you could.

I have had these taco shells before, the meat I season myself with Mccomack chili power, cilantro, and onion... The salsa was a store made salsa from Kings.. in their deli section.. in the little clear plastic tubs. so maybe they used a different vinegar... I guess I should have known.

Guest Doll
I have had these taco shells before, the meat I season myself with Mccomack chili power, cilantro, and onion... The salsa was a store made salsa from Kings.. in their deli section.. in the little clear plastic tubs. so maybe they used a different vinegar... I guess I should have known.

I don't think it's the vinegar...it's CC. I *personally* avoid anything "store made" and not prepackaged. The risk is just too high. You have no idea what they added or what spices they use.

I don't use any chilli powders, I was under the impression that none were gluten-free. Is McCorrmick? This could be another issue. You may also want to see if you ate something earlier in the day that may be the issue (delayed reaction). Also, some people with IBS seem to react to fatty and spicy foods (where as most Celiacs don't once healed).

If you have Celiac and have not been gluten-free long or still have long lasting intestinal damage, that meal may have been a little too much for your intestines. ;)

It also could be mild food poisoning etc and not be related to Celiac. Non-Celiacs get sick too!

Hope you feel better soon!

I agree totally with Doll on this one. You most likely got CC from the deli salsa. There are a lot of premade salsas that are safe or it is really easy to make up fresh yourself.

Doll, McCormicks Chili Powder is safe, any of their spices that have just the spice names on the label are safe. The packages of stuff like Taco Seasoning Mixes do need to be checked, some of those are not but the spices in the jars are okay. They recently came out with a few ethnic type blends like my favorite Garam Marsela which is great on rice and veggies.

Guest Doll
I agree totally with Doll on this one. You most likely got CC from the deli salsa. There are a lot of premade salsas that are safe or it is really easy to make up fresh yourself.

Doll, McCormicks Chili Powder is safe, any of their spices that have just the spice names on the label are safe. The packages of stuff like Taco Seasoning Mixes do need to be checked, some of those are not but the spices in the jars are okay. They recently came out with a few ethnic type blends like my favorite Garam Marsela which is great on rice and veggies.

Awesome! Thanks! I have not had "real" seasoned taccos in years!

Old El Paso taco seasoning is gluten-free as well.

We use the Ortega shaker bottle of taco seasoning regularly with no problem and also use their tortilla and tostada shells.

We use Pace salsa and Daisy sour cream.

I gotta tell you, I've sworn off McCormicks period. I now buy an organic line of herbs or I dry my own. What got me with McCormicks was when I read the label on the Garlic Powder I bought and it said made in China. McCormicks can claim that as far as they know the product is gluten free, and they may even test to make sure, but I no longer trust food products made in China. I'm not willing to take the risk anymore.