This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Food Intolerance Test Results

Tanzanite

Tanzanite Newbie

Ok, I know I have celiac and not yet gluten-free as I have to see my Dr. But I just done a food intolerance test and it's come back with Cow's Milk, egg white, corn and rice as foods I'm intolerant to. Help!! Just what am I meant to eat?

I feel over whelmed. I thought going gluten-free would be fairly easy as I could substitute rice and corn for wheat but now I know I'm intolerant to it (among other things) what do I do? Most gluten-free free foods here are made with corn or rice instead. This is a nightmare!

I was surprised to find potatoes seem to be fine for me though I know I get an itchy red rash on my hands if I touch them raw.

Is there a chance once on the gluten-free diet that these intolerances to rice and corn will go?

I'm now imagining a very boring, restricted diet, a life of scrutinising labels and misery! Yes, it'll help me feel better which I'm glad about but this is nuts!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kabowman Explorer

The restricted diet isn't very bad at all, once you figure out what you can eat.

You can substitute arrowroot flour for corn starch but you are right, many mixes have corn. Chebe mixes don't have corn and some are dairy free too.

hathor Contributor

I've heard of rice intolerances going away once someone's gut heals. I'm not so sure about corn, because its protein seems to be more problematic (it is gluelike and more difficult to digest, I've read).

Meanwhile, you may want to look into Breads from Anna, which makes some mixes which are gluten, dairy, corn & rice free: Open Original Shared Link This is the company itself; you may be able to find their products from other vendors or even a local store if you are lucky. You can make the breads without egg by subbing in EnerG's egg replacer or ground flax seed.

I don't know if there are any already made gluten-free breads that don't contain rice.

For tortillas, you can try ones made from hemp seed or teff. I haven't doublechecked, but I don't think they contain corn or rice. You may have to buy an acceptable flour from Bob's Red Mill & experiment with assorted breads, flatbreads, etc. I've been told that chickpea flour makes a nice tortilla, but I haven't tried it myself yet.

You can used quinoa-based pasta. There are 100% buckwheat soba noodles out there too, although you may have to search. I got a potato-based pasta once by ordering online. So check different vendors, you may find any sort of interesting things.

It sounds like you will have to explore the possibilities of wild rice (not a rice, despite the name), buckwheat, quinoa, millet, & amaranth.

It helps if you focus on what you CAN eat rather than what you cannot. Since you do not indicate vegetarianism, you have all types of meat & seafood. You can have products made from goats or sheeps milk (different proteins than cow's milk). You can have soy (believe me, difficult to eliminate, especially if you eat a vegan diet like me B) ). You can have other legumes: beans, peas, lentils, split peas. You can have the starches I mentioned above, plus potatoes, sweet potatoes, & winter squashes. You can have all types of vegetables and fruits, nuts & seeds, plus apparently any sort of seasonings you want.

You will find yourself label reading more than you want and will have to do some searching out of new recipes. But it is possible to eat a wide variety of meals, even with multiple food intolerances, believe me.

I am not trying to minimize your pain. I know I went through a grieving process myself for what I can't eat. But you get over it, find tasty things to eat you might not have tried otherwise, and best of all, start to feel better.

Tanzanite Newbie

Thanks. Though I'm in the UK so may not be able to find some of the things suggested.

I think I should probably start the gluten-free diet and then start worrying about the others if I still have symptoms. Think it's just too much to take in all at once. Very drastic to alter your diet completely too.

But still, there's one good thing that'll come from it, better health!

hathor Contributor

Sorry, I missed the UK location. I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't British vendors of similar, or even the same, items, though. I know I've ordered some gluten-free products from US vendors that were manufactured in Europe.

In case you haven't seen this site before:

Open Original Shared Link

I ran across this when I was doing some research. My daughter is in London for this school year and we are planning on visiting her in the spring.

Archived