Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mommyagain

I Need Sushi!

I know I can't eat raw fish during pregnancy... and I know that the imitation crab stuff (which is kinda nasty anyway) has gluten.

Is there anything sushi-like I can eat? Is smoked salmon okay? How about roe? I could probably get veggie rolls and roll them in roe, that might satisfy this current craving...

Please help! I have never had a craving like this in my life... it's been 3 days. I kept thinking it would just go away if I ignored it long enough... but it hasn't... and nothing tastes good at all right now... not even my all time favorite foods...

Can you make your own, and use broiled salmon or even canned? It's really not hard to make. Mine never look as neat and perfect as the ones at restaurants, but they taste just as good!

If you don't want to bother rolling them up, you could serve broiled salmon with gluten-free teriyaki salmon over sushi rice (which is regular rice mixed with a combo of vinegar and sugar heated together until the sugar melts and dissolves) while still hot. Sometimes I add thawed frozen mixed vegies to the rice, too. You could sprinkle it with shredded nori (the seaweed).

The Triumph Dining cards for Japanese say that packaged roe(which is commonly used)may contain gluten. Pure, fresh roe is safe.

If you make your own you can do tuna mayo, which is yummy. Avacado, cucumber, fresh crab, egg individually or combined are all good fillings. You don't have to roll them either. You can make chirashi sushi, which is a bed of the sushi rice and everything sprinkled on top. Beware that omlett pieces added to prepared sushi can contain the slightest amount of soy sauce and/or dashi(broth) or other ingredients.

Our local supermarket uses a Tsunami brand in store sushi maker guy. My daughter and husband successfully eat veggie combos (has seaweed wrapper, rice and veggies inside, they have single veggies or mixed ones). They can also usually eat the shrimp california roll (as long as it's not tempura or fried). The nice thing about getting it in the supermarket is it's all labeled with all ingredients. Whole foods sushi is pretty good that way too. They even use brown rice there and will make it to order. Just make sure to bring it home and use it with your own gluten free soy sauce and enjoy. Also, I just noticed at our local Thai place, restaurants can now get gluten free soy sauce packets from www.kariout.com. We were thrilled not to have to travel with our own soy sauce anymore.

Enjoy.

I'm craving sushi too and am preggers, what's up with that?? lol

So is ordering from a sushi bar safe if you make sure no gluten is in it and to use gluten-free soy sauce? What ingredients do you have to look out for?

That would totally make my day! I'm craving it like crazy!

vegetable rolls and cooked salmon rolls are what I tend to go with, sometimes shrimp nagiri. check on the internal ingredients, of course, but they are often safe. "what" you can have depends on the kind of sushi available to you. I've found that the sushi selection (of the more esoteric things) in SoCal is different than Seattle, and that varies greatly from location to location. if you were here, I'd advice the sundried tomato and avocado roll, and a seared salmon with cucumber and lemon zest roll. :)

If you want to make your own, it's pretty easy and you can customize your ingredients safely. I've served it as a salad like in this first recipe, instead of rolling it. I've also put the rolled recipe below. I was able to find the rice, nori and wasabi at my local QFC but you might have to try an asian market, depending on your locale.

Here's the link to salmon sushi salad: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefi...ecipe_id=523661

This is more of a side dish: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefi...ecipe_id=698668

Rolled sushi: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefi...cipe_id=1141986

I order California rolls with King Crab only (no imitation crab meat) and California rolls with shrimp instead of crab. I bring my own powdered wasabi as the kind they serve almost always has gluten in it due to using dijon mustard.