Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ConnieA84

Milk Allergy Is Addition To Gluten?

I am not sure but I think I may be having a problem digesting dairy in addition to the Gluten Allergy. I have been taking lactaid pills everytime I eat dairy and it doesn't seem to be making a difference. My question is does anybody know is it the Lactose in milk that celiacs have a problem digesting or is it something else a protein of some kinda in which case the pills won't make a difference. I am going to try cutting out dairy completly for then next week to see if that will make a difference.

Finally for those of you who do have problems with dairy, does butter fall into that category. I know butter has almost no lactose but not sure if it is still a problem..

Any advice is appreciated..

thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes, it is often suggested that those newly diagnoses eliminate diary until some healing can occur.

After some time you can introduce it.

Smart Balance is diary free. It's a far cry from real butter, but it works.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

One of the reasons I was tested for Celiac in the begining was my lactose intolerance, I remember being so excited when the doctor told me that with a gluten free diet my lactose intolerance would likely clear up in a couple of months, and it did, it took about three months for me but I was luckily dxed quickly I only had Celiac symptoms from May to Dec. You may not clear up you may always have a reaction to dairy but once your gut heals you may not, it'll be a trial and error kinda deal but I would wait atleast 2 months before I tried to reintro dairy if it were me.

Some have problems with lactose (milk sugar); some have problems with casein (the predominant milk protein). If the lactaid pills don't help you and you DO feel better without dairy, then your problem would seem to be with casein.

Yes, butter does contain casein, although not a great deal. It does seem like, with my other intolerances, avoiding the items makes me more sensitive when I do have an accidental ingestion, much like things work with gluten. I can't have the slightest bit of egg anymore. I am very sensitive to any bits of soy, even soy lecithin it seems. I can't hack butter (for awhile, if there was some on a restaurant's offering I managed OK). I was doing fine with ghee (clarified butter with supposedly no casein left), but now meals in Indian restaurants have been causing problems.

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)