Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

saaa-wheat<3

Steamed Clams

I had some steamed clams one afternoon at a BBQ this past summer, they were soooo gooood. Later on, the hostess steamed up another batch, and it was then that it dawned on me that I forgot to ask if they use beer in the water to steam them! I asked, and she said she did, so even though it had been a few hours from the first batch without incident and they were so yummy, I decided that it was in my best interest not to tempt fate.

I go this BBQ party every August and have been glutened every time I went, most likely from cc on the grill. This year, I was really good and brought my own hot dog and tin foil for the grill and for the first time I didn't get sick!

Any insight as to why the beer from steam did not bother me at all? Would it be the along the same lines that as long as an alcoholic beverage is distilled (steam?) that the gluten is removed?

Gluten-free after trying unsuccessfully and falling off wagon and becoming so sick--this is when the docs found the Hashimoto's, 2003. I have not eaten gluten willingly since then, until January, 2013. Past GI symptoms, delayed DH rash, biopsies on both have been negative, as well as IgE (all tests performed while not willingly consuming gluten). GERD dx in 2007, citric acid is worst offender. Mushrooms (the regular kind, that is) cause GI symptoms along with occasional rash (different than DH, the red dot kind) and I now wonder how many times I got sick from mushrooms and thought it was gluten contamination.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

1. If they weren't submerged then maybe the gluten protein was too large to be carried in the steam

2. You were very lucky.

3. You were lucky in the sense you did not react, but probably still ingested gluten and may be causing damage to your intestines.

Those are my guesses.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter