This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Calorie Content In Gluten Free

mustluvcats

mustluvcats Rookie

:rolleyes: Hi Everyone: I have only been gluten free for about 6 months. I have been reading the labels on everything now, but I have noticed that the calorie content on the gluten free items is very high. I try not to eat too much of the prepacked items. I am wondering, those of you that have been gluten free for any length of time, have you had trouble maintaining your weight? As any woman, I don't want any added weight.....LOL! So far I have been fine, but I want to stay that way.

Thanks for the replies,

Regards,

Jayne

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nancym Enthusiast

Hell yeah! I'd be a second goodyear blimp by now if I ate that stuff. I avoid starches and sugars and focus on meat, veggies, fruit, nuts if I can afford the calories, and a few sugar-free treats I make myself.

elye Community Regular

Yep, I second that...just far too much fat and sugar in the packaged gluten-free stuff. Even the pasta has more calories than the regular stuff! :angry:

emcmaster Collaborator

An educated guess to why our prepackaged stuff is higher calorie is because it's generally much higher fat, which masks the taste of gluten-free ingredients. :lol:

Limit packaged goodies - the gluten-free versions aren't any better for you health-wise than the regular versions are for regular people. Eat clean - whole foods, less sugar, etc. and save packaged treats for treats.

DonnaD777-777 Newbie

I can eat as much as i want because when i eat carbs i do not eat any protein in the same day and i start out with fruit. If i eat protein, i don't eat any carbs.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
I can eat as much as i want because when i eat carbs i do not eat any protein in the same day and i start out with fruit. If i eat protein, i don't eat any carbs.

I'm confused. Why exactly would that make food healthier?

• 2 weeks later...
DonnaD777-777 Newbie
I'm confused. Why exactly would that make food healthier?

lol. it doesn't make it healthier, it makes it where calories don't count :)!!!! I love splurging on as much gluten free cookies that i want. It's nice to eat things that we normally can't gluten free and not worry about gaining weight.....it is the beverly hills diet and i recommend the first book..it is amazing, at least following the rules. In fact the rules are listed below for your convienence, so you can eat as much as you want without gaining weight!!!

Remember

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

byrmanson Rookie

GOOD POINT! Can you specify some of the products you're talking about? Breads? Cereals? Or are you talking pre-packaged meals or something?

Archived