Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Celena

What Tests Should I Ask Doc To Order?

Hi all,

I got a referral to a pedi for my two DDs. The doc is supposed to have at least *some* experience w celiacs (yay!). we dont want to waste the appt and want him to take us as seriously as possible. any advice or ideas from you all would be great.

i was thinking of going in there w a list of symptoms and details about the effects of elimination diet on symptoms.

and also i want to have a list of tests in mind that i would like for him to order. i am going to get him to order as many as possible because whatever he orders is free and we really cant afford anything else private right now. so here is what i was thinking for tests:

1. full celiac panel (not sure what all this entails...hopefully he will know though)
  2. RAST
  3. ELISA

can you all think of other tests that you would have done? this is all i can think of...other than a lead level test for the younger one because of the china toy scare. someone on another post mentioned an iron test....not sure if we need that. what is the relationship between iron and celiacs? also, i was thinking a stool test to check for malabsorption and enzyme deficiency but i am not sure what to ask for....do any of you know?

thanks so much :D

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Now you do know what the full panel consists of! And make sure you do talk with him to make sure that ALL the tests are run.

Taken from www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.edu

Anti-gliadin antibodies (AGA) both IgA and IgG

Anti-endomysial antibodies (EMA) - IgA

Anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies (tTG) - IgA

Total IgA level.

Join eNewsletter

ok...so the appt is today. i am REALLY nervous. i am so worried that he will just say the girls look healthy (because they unfortunately do today!) and that there is nothing wrong!!!! i was so hoping they would go in there looking there worst. they couldnt look better today tho.

is anybody out there that can talk me down :( and give me some advice? like would the next step be if it is a neg test result???

Join eNewsletter

If you get a negative result, you can always try the diet. You didn't mention what your girls' symptoms are that led you to suspect celiac, but if they show any symptoms trying the diet can't hurt. False negatives are common, and in my opinion, not a bad thing. It means they don't have enough damage from the disease yet to get a positive result. And regardless of how they look, I would think that the blood test would still come out the same as it would if they looked sick today. Since you have a doctor that knows something about celiac and you were referred for celiac testing, he shouldn't have a problem doing the blood test. Good luck!

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter