Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cmom

Oats Recipes?

Since I have been gluten-free for several years now, I decided to buy some Cream Hill Estates oats and give them a try. Does anyone have any good recipes/ideas? Can they be substituted for quick oats as well? THanks.

Robin from Indiana

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

gluten-free oats are a godsend. SO good! Enjoy!

Here's my old apple crisp recipe that I'm very happy to be making again. I usually double the topping for a nice thick crust on top. It makes a nice breakfast with yogurt.

Mix together 1/2 c. oats, 1/2 c. packed brown sugar( I prefer a less sweet 1/4 c.), 1/4 c. flour, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, nutmeg or ginger. Cut in 1/4c. butter. Add 1/4c. chopped nuts if desired. Sprinkle over 5c. chopped fruits(about 3 whole). Bake at 375 for 30-40 min until fruits juices start to bubble. I like apple-blueberry, raspberry-peach and cranberry-pear, apple-pear as well as plain apple. Mixed frozen berries are wonderful too. Depending on the juicyness and sweetness of the fruit, I mix a little sugar and/ or cornstarch with the fruit. Many times I add no sugar at all to the fruit.

The topping can be mixed in quantity and made ahead and stored in the fridge.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

Here's my Granola recipe! :)

I love cranberry|vanilla|almond

I love maple|pecan (I add a c. of ground flax to this)

I have a blend I call 'good morning sunshine' and all the ingrdients were something 'sunny' and happy lol (I know I am such a dork) it's got dried apricots, sunflower seeds, honey, dried pineapple, and those pertrified banana slices you get in the bulk foods and candied ginger (if you can afford it, or a 1/4 tsp ginger powder)

I just made some with apricots|pistachios turned out yum

you use the fruits you love, I was just showing you how creative you can be.

Basic Granola

8 c old fashioned oats (gluten safe)

1 c sweetener of your choice (honey or maple syrup) honey IS sweeter

2 tb vanilla

1 1/2 c nuts|seeds

2 c dried fruits

1/4 ts cinnamon

nutmeg or ginger, whatever seems to compliment your fruits and your palate

Preheat your oven to325F

Prepare 2 cookie sheets (I like to line mine with foil)

Chop up your fruits, set aside.

In a humongous bowl (I use my spaghetti pot lol) measure out 8 cups of oats, nuts, sweetener, spices, vanilla and mix well with a wooden spoon. You don't add the fruit until the granola is out of the oven and semi-cooled. Pour oat mixture evenly onto the 2 cookie sheets. Put in oven and set timer to 45 minutes.

You are going to check the granola every 15 minutes, and stir if needed. At 30 minutes switch the trays in the oven to keep the browning even.

When the timer goes off, take the trays out and put them on the top of the stove to cool you let it cool about 30 minutes and you can put your fruit on it.

Wait until the moisture is no longer emitting from the granola before you try and store it or stir it.

I keep mine in the freezer to ensure freshness, in ziplock bags (big ones lol) and whenever I want a bowl I just scoop it out. It's SOOOOOO good with soymilk!

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

Join eNewsletter

This is my MIL's recipe. I just changed the flour to gluten-free oat flour and a sorghum/corn blend.

Gramma's Dad's Cookies

2 cups white sugar

1 cup brown sugar

2 cups margarine

2 eggs

2 cups coconut

2 1/2 cups oatmeal

3 cups flour

2 teaspoons baking soda

2 teaspoons baking powder

make into balls and if you want, flatten with a fork dipped in sugar...Bake at 350 for 7 to 10 minutes...Makes lots of cookies..

my notes:

I just dropped the dough onto the cookie sheet with a spoon, it was a bit sloppy to try to roll into a ball.

I used Lara's rolled oats and Lara's oat flour (AKA Cream Hill Estates - from Quebec). I used one cup oat flour and the other 2 cups I used Carol Fenster's sorghum/corn flour blend.

1 1/2 cups sorghum flour

1/1/2 cups potato starch

1 cup tapioca flour

1/2 cup corn flour (or chestnut flour or bean flour)

They didn't quite look done at 10 minutes, so I baked for 12 and then they crisped up afterwards, so they were a bit over done. I'll stick with the 10 minutes next time. I don't like coconut at all, but you can't really taste it, so it's okay for people who aren't crazy about coconut.

Also when this says "makes lots of cookies" it's right! I had a tupperware container full and three 1 litre zip bags full to put in the freezer.

Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)

Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05

biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05

Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

Join eNewsletter

I replace 1/4 to 1/2 cup flour in a recipe with oat flour. Oat flour is easy to make even in a regular blender but only try to grind smaller amounts at a time so it doesn't bind up.

I love oats and could not give them up. That would almost be as bad as me having to give up chocolate. :(

~Barb

Gluten Free October 18, 2007

YIPPEE for Gluten free

Join eNewsletter

I tried the Cream Hill oats in this recipe and was terribly disappointed to find that I reacted to them, but these scones were so good I went ahead and ate the rest anyway (why not, I was still going to feel crappy whether I ate them or not!). This is the original recipe with gluten flour, but I think I just subbed my usual gluten-free flour (Bette Hagman) and some xanthan gum.

Oatmeal scones

1-1/4 c flour

1 t baking powder

1/2 t baking soda

1/4 t salt

1/4 c sugar

Combine the above. Blend in with pastry cutter: 4 T butter and 1/4 c Crisco

Add 1 c oats and 1/3 c raisins (optional).

Add 1/3 c buttermilk or "sour" milk (put 1 t vinegar in cup and fill to 1/3 with milk) and mix just until moistened. Knead 7-8 times on a floured surface. Pat into 7" circle and cut into 8 wedges. Transfer wedges to ungreased baking sheet. Brush tops with melted butter. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes. Serve warm.

Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter