Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Juliebove

Boy Was I Stupid!

I can't believe what I just did. Daughter is having a field trip tomorrow and has to bring a quick sack lunch that she will be eating early and before the field trip. She said she wanted an almond butter and jelly sandwich.

Normally, I send in a 2 slice package of Ener-G Rice Starch bread along with a single serve packet of almond butter and a single serve pack or two of jelly or jam. I bought the single serve packs not only to minimize my contact with the almond butter (I'm allergic), but so that the sandwiches would be really fresh when she ate them.

She decided to have me make the sandwich up for her so she could eat it quickly. Rather than use a single serve pouch, I opened a new jar and began stirring the oil in with a metal knife. I normally use plastic knives and just throw them away when making sandwiches, but I decided that it would work better to stir with a metal one.

Then when I was done, I proceeded to put the knife in the sink. But suddenly I stopped myself. There was a lot of almond butter clinging to the knife. I am so used to licking peanut butter from the knife when I make myself a sandwich that I just sort of instinctively began to put the knife in my mouth. At the same time I was thinking how good the almond butter tasted and that I hadn't eaten any in a while. Then suddenly as the knife touched my tongue did I remember *why* I hadn't eaten any in a while.

I immediately turned on the water, cupped my hands and began washing my mouth out. But the damage has been done. Luckily I don't have a life threatening allergy, but my mouth is in fire now and it burns at the back of my throat. Grrr... I can't believe I did something so stupid.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

We do live and learn. I have done that with Tylenol with my children. I hope you feel better soon. Some things are so automatic. I'm sure next time you will think before you lick.

Join eNewsletter

I did it with gluten before our whole family went gluten free and it was just me *twice* :rolleyes: Im glad it wasnt life threaening for you. I hope your mouth feels better today.

Thanks. I do feel better today. But I have to keep looking at that jar of almond butter in the fridge. Grrr...

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter