This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Is It Possible

lilypad23

lilypad23 Explorer

Does anyone know if it is possible to be glutened at work? I work at Pizza Hut on the weekends and I always seem to be sick on Saturdays. I usually start to feel better on Thursday or Friday and then I go to work and it seems to start all over again. Its not really bad, but its enough to cause problems. For instance, a couple of months ago I went to work on Friday and was feeling fine but then I didn't sleep Friday night, I felt out of it, and when I got to work on Saturday I could not remember how to use the credit card machine even though I've used it a million times. I don't eat anything at work, unless its a banana that I bring from home. But, I'm just wondering if maybe being around the pizza and everything for so many hours could cause problems. Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Offthegrid Explorer

I hate to burst your bubble, but working around flour all day doesn't seem ideal. You're breathing and possibly touching it constantly. Maybe there are similar jobs where you wouldn't be around so much flour?

happygirl Collaborator

See the bottom of page 14/top of page 15 for a write up about a journal article in the New England Journal of Medicine

Open Original Shared Link

DM11545 Newbie

Caraline ... I believe that there would have to be some reaction from breathing in flour and you would almost certainly be breathing in minute particles at some point in in the workday.

FootballFanatic Contributor

Aw, please try to find a different job! I wont even take a waitressing job and that would just be carrying food.

I hope you can find other work where you are not getting contact flour.

Guhlia Rising Star

Its highly likely that you're getting glutened at work. Even if you're using only commissary dough at your store, not the bagged mixes, isn't there flour in food release? Isn't that residue all over everything at your store? I used to work at Pizza Hut and I can't imagine having to work there with Celiac. If I were you I would definitely find another job. Its so not worth sacrificing your health.

lilypad23 Explorer

Thank you all very much for your advice. I was pretty sure I was getting glutened at work but I felt like I was just being paranoid or doing something wrong or whatever. But, all I eat is meats, fruits, and veggies and I am very careful about being cc'd. I guess I was just pushing it off as long as I could because I really love my job. I like all of the people I work with, I've had it for about a year and a half and its fun. Honestly, this is kind of starting to not be as easy as I thought it was going to be. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rya Newbie
Thank you all very much for your advice. I was pretty sure I was getting glutened at work but I felt like I was just being paranoid or doing something wrong or whatever. But, all I eat is meats, fruits, and veggies and I am very careful about being cc'd. I guess I was just pushing it off as long as I could because I really love my job. I like all of the people I work with, I've had it for about a year and a half and its fun. Honestly, this is kind of starting to not be as easy as I thought it was going to be. :(

Yikes! This is me being a nutrition major, but do you get any carbs besides fruit? I don't know anything about your diet except for the above statement, but if you are on a low carb diet for very long you start to get brain fog and fatigue. Your muscles break down, the brain slows down, not to mention it is hard work on your kidneys trying to convert all that protein into usable energy (which is very very hard for a body to do). Find a whole foods market if you possibly can? Or go to Bob's RedMill online and order some stuff. There are pastas out there made with quinoa and corn that taste just like white pasta, yum. If you don't want to do any of that, consider a folate supplement. You might be missing out on it. :( Let me know if I can bombard you with any more information. :D

lilypad23 Explorer
Yikes! This is me being a nutrition major, but do you get any carbs besides fruit? I don't know anything about your diet except for the above statement, but if you are on a low carb diet for very long you start to get brain fog and fatigue. Your muscles break down, the brain slows down, not to mention it is hard work on your kidneys trying to convert all that protein into usable energy (which is very very hard for a body to do). Find a whole foods market if you possibly can? Or go to Bob's RedMill online and order some stuff. There are pastas out there made with quinoa and corn that taste just like white pasta, yum. If you don't want to do any of that, consider a folate supplement. You might be missing out on it. :( Let me know if I can bombard you with any more information. :D

Thank you very much for the advice, but I also have problems when ever I eat rice or corn, so I just figured that I would have no grains for a while. I'm trying the Paleo Diet right now. I will definitely look into the folate supplement though :).

kbtoyssni Contributor

Yikes, you work at pizza hut??? I would get a new job ASAP. I don't think there's any way you can be gluten-free working in a place that uses wheat flour, unfortunately.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Um, people have been living without any kind of grain whatsoever, very healthy, for thousands of years?

edit: Don't you get folate from greens?

lilypad23 Explorer

I put in to my two week notice on Saturday. It was hard though because my boss really wants me to stay, but I told him that I couldn't. Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions of what I could tell interviewers when they ask why I'm looking for another job. I'm worried that if I tell them that I had to quit because I got sick every time I went to work that they won't want to hire me.

Rya Newbie

Just be careful the way you phrase it. If you say something like "I quit for health reasons, but I have looked extensively into the requirements of this job and am confident that I will not encounter those problems here." Also let them know it is nothing workman's comp related. That's probably their main concern.

Now...make sure you really won't encounter those problems in your next job and you are good to go. :P

Happy hunting!

Rya Newbie
Um, people have been living without any kind of grain whatsoever, very healthy, for thousands of years?

edit: Don't you get folate from greens?

You're 100% right, but you do have to be careful in what you choose :D . You're 100% right about the folate in greens as well :D . I only suggested the supplement because (much to my dismay) the folate in greens is not absorbed very well. Normally this would be ok, a little deficient, most people can handle that - they have been for thousands of years like you said. But, women of child-bearing age are special because if they don't get a ton of folate their babies are at risk for neural tube defects. Most people get their folate in supplemented breakfast cereal; Celiacs don't have that advantage.

I hope I didn't offend you. ;)

Archived