Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tim-n-VA

Xanthan Gum

I was going to try to convert a quick bread recipe. It has chunks of apple and nuts.

Would additional xanthan gum (versus a "normal" gluten-free flour blend), help a heavy bread hold its structure? Is there an taste issue to consider?

Thanks!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I was going to try to convert a quick bread recipe. It has chunks of apple and nuts.

Would additional xanthan gum (versus a "normal" gluten-free flour blend), help a heavy bread hold its structure? Is there an taste issue to consider?

Thanks!

My understanding is that you can sub gluten-free flour blends for any wheat flour recipe, just add 1 tsp xanthan gum to every 1 to 1 1/2 cups of flour (did I get that right guys?) However, if you're trying for more hold-together because of a heavy bread, I would use a little more egg and a little less liquid than it calls for. And remember, with heavy breads like that, the gluteny stuff falls apart too. But more xanthan gum couldnt hurt I don't think, I don't think it has a taste. I'm not as good a baker as a lot of people on here, my success rate is still kinda sad, so I'd check with everyone else.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Join eNewsletter

Actually, according to Annalise Roberts' "Gluten-Free Baking Classics," too much xanthan gum can be a problem. Here's what she says about it:

"If you use too little xanthan or guar gum, your baked goods will fall apart and turn out brittle and hard. If you use too much, your baked goods will condense and shrink after you bake them, growing ever tighter and smaller as the gum works its magic for days after."

She doesn't give a per-cup-of-flour recommendation, but most of her recipes seem to average about a teaspoon for each 1 1/2 cups of flour for breads and about half that for cookies and cakes.

I'm a longtime gluten baker, bread being my specialty, and having to learn a whole new set of rules has been frustrating. I appreciate Roberts' clear, detailed explanations.

My understanding is that you can sub gluten-free flour blends for any wheat flour recipe, just add 1 tsp xanthan gum to every 1 to 1 1/2 cups of flour (did I get that right guys?) However, if you're trying for more hold-together because of a heavy bread, I would use a little more egg and a little less liquid than it calls for. And remember, with heavy breads like that, the gluteny stuff falls apart too. But more xanthan gum couldnt hurt I don't think, I don't think it has a taste. I'm not as good a baker as a lot of people on here, my success rate is still kinda sad, so I'd check with everyone else.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter