Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

laughs2loud

Celiac And Intestinal Narrowing?

Hi all,

I'm currently in the hospital with an inability to eat anything at all (even gluten-free foods), and my doctor told me that my small intestines narrow so much at one point, it is impossible for food to pass through. He says this is due to Celiac disease, and my recovery. Has anyone ever heard of this? I have to have surgery to correct this problem, and i'm pretty freaked out about it. Still, I haven't heard of anything like this...but I suppose celiac is a sneaky jerk-face sometimes.

Anyone?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi all,

I'm currently in the hospital with an inability to eat anything at all (even gluten-free foods), and my doctor told me that my small intestines narrow so much at one point, it is impossible for food to pass through. He says this is due to Celiac disease, and my recovery. Has anyone ever heard of this? I have to have surgery to correct this problem, and i'm pretty freaked out about it. Still, I haven't heard of anything like this...but I suppose celiac is a sneaky jerk-face sometimes.

Anyone?

This is serious but try not to freak out to much. The doctors have caught it and you should be fine after your surgery. I don't think that this would be highly unusual. Celiac can cause some nasty damage and sometimes when scar tissue forms over and over again it can form a stricture or a narrowing. I have had severe adhesions which are the same sort of thing, scar tissue that forms in places it shouldn't wrapping around and joining things they shouldn't. Any abdominal surgery is uncomfortable afterwards for a bit, how long depends on how quickly you heal and what type of procedure they are doing to free the area up. I hope everything goes well and that you recover quickly and don't forget to write celiac - gluten free in big red letters on your forehead.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

I want to second what the above poster said, MAKE SURE THEY KNOW YOU ARE GLUTEN FREE! I got so sick in the hospital because they gave me oral meds with gluten in them...then had to push anti-nausea meds through my IV! It was ridiculous! Also, do you have anyone who can bring you food? This is really important. No matter what the nutritionist said, I still got Corn Flakes and Rice Krispies (didn't eat them...but they gave them to me.)

Good luck and I am sure whatever you end up doing will work out! Our thoughts are with you! Keep us updated.

Kassandra :)

Dairy/Casein Free- March 2007

Gluten Free- May 2007

Soy Free- August 2007

Sugar Free- January 2008

Starch Free- January 2008

Egg Free (again!)- February 2008

Sulfur Free- May 2008

Dx'd Lyme Disease and co-infections- December 2007

Join eNewsletter

Thanks everyone!

I have been very careful with the foods they are giving me. It's been easy since I've not eaten very much since sunday. They've given me the packet of the broth they brought me, it is specifically gluten free. And today they gave me salmon with rice and asparagus, no sauce. I can't eat much, but I'm making sure it's gluten free, or I won't touch it.

In addition to the intestinal fun, I also have a liver adenoma, thanks to our Friend celiac disease and birth control, I am told. My body just doesn't want to relax!

I'll keep you all posted, but thank you for the quick responses!

Amy

Join eNewsletter

Thanks everyone!

I have been very careful with the foods they are giving me. It's been easy since I've not eaten very much since sunday. They've given me the packet of the broth they brought me, it is specifically gluten free. And today they gave me salmon with rice and asparagus, no sauce. I can't eat much, but I'm making sure it's gluten free, or I won't touch it.

In addition to the intestinal fun, I also have a liver adenoma, thanks to our Friend celiac disease and birth control, I am told. My body just doesn't want to relax!

I'll keep you all posted, but thank you for the quick responses!

Amy

I too have a liver tumor from birth control pills and/or some unknown reason. I also have Focal Nodular Hyperplasia (benign tumors) in my liver and angiomyolipomas in my kidneys, also benign. My doc doesn't think that I need surgery, although they are following them.

You don't have to have surgery on your liver, do you?

Best of luck and I hope you feel better soon!

~Laura

Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

Join eNewsletter

Ok, apparently I don't need surgery now. CT scan and MRI were wrong according to the endoscopy. Still can't eat, and I'm still in the hospital.

I hate this.

But no, no Surgery on the liver stuff. That's just watch and wait.

Body's are so confusing! <_<

That's good about no surgery but bad that you're still in the hospital and still in pain. I hope that they figure it out soon.

~Laura

Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

Join eNewsletter

Hi all,

Anyone?

HI, i see where you wrote that you are in the hospital with narrowing of the intestines is this common for celiac or just something that happened? i am recently diagonised with celiac and dont know much about it , by the way i hpoe you have a speedy recovery!

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter