Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoriC

Help! Glaze For Ham

This is my first holiday being gluten-free and i'm baking a ham and it hit me, THE GLAZE????? here is a list of the ingredients:

sugar, Fructose, Gelatin, Spices including papkrika, dextrose, Honey Powder (Honey, MALTODEXTRIN)

Natural and artficial flavor, Lecithin, with not more than 20% Silicon dioxide and soybean oil added as processing agents.

the maltodextrin catches my eye, for some reason i thought that was on a NO NO list. Any help is appreciated, Thanks, Lori

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Can you call the company and ask? I would question the natural flavoring. Be sure to ask about barley derived ingredients and gluten. Wheat is required to be listed. There are many recipies for ham glaze on recipezaar.com as well as other places. They are very easy to make and use.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

In the US, maltodextrin is generally not a concern. It is almost always derived from corn. In the rare instances where it is derived from wheat, it must be clearly stated....Maltodextrin (wheat).

What is the name of the company? Certain companies have policies of not hiding any gluten.

Join eNewsletter

I've never had a problem with Maltodextrin (in USA). Neither with "natural flavorings" - Clan Thompson Food Smartlist says that it is generally Gluten Free but may not be if in a meat item. Since this is the glaze, it is probably ok. Calling company would be good.

What is the brand? Also, I've had to make my own glaze a few times and it wasn't very hard. Brown Sugar/Molasses, honey, orange juice, and any number of spices of your choosing (ginger, etc).

Franceen

Diagnosed DH by Allergist via gluten-free Diet Success

Gluten-free since Dec 2005

Gluten-free works so why keep getting tests?

Neg skin biopsy & Neg bloodwork after gluten-free for 3 months

No Endoscopy - need to eat gluten for good test & won't do it

No other Allergies or major ailments!

Join eNewsletter

It's made by Amish Valley, I ended up just pouring cola over it and baking it, better safe then sorry i guess, I should have called though, I kept the packet, I will call on Friday just to find out for future use. But my ham is delish with the cola, Thanks for all your help :)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter