This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Easy To Make Foods And Easy To Eat Foods

bakingbarb

bakingbarb Enthusiast

It seems when we all start here we are scratching our heads going what can we eat? So I thought a thread on what's easy to make would be helpful. I have only been doing this gluten-free for a month now and still run low on some days so all ideas would be great.

Here is what is easy for me and I like to eat plus it keeps me worry free

Scrambled eggs eaten in a corn tortilla heated in butter, served with salsa, sour cream and sharp cheddar

Frittata a veggie saut

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hayley3 Contributor

I make deviled eggs when I'm looking for something to eat. Or nuts.

And tuna is another thing that I eat when I'm starving and don't have anything else. I've also started adding sardines (because they are less likely to have mercury) and I eat them on rice crackers with a little mustard. It's an acquired taste though.

I actually have a list of stuff on the fridge of things to eat. I'm gonna add some of your suggestions.

Thanks!

cruelshoes Enthusiast

I already posted this on a different thread, but I will post it again here.

Open Original Shared Link

missy'smom Collaborator

Here's an easy turkey leftover meal. Hot turkey sandwiches.

Place bread on plate, layer on warmed up sliced turkey, scoop of mashed potatoes and cover in gravy.

melrobsings Contributor

I just posted this in another thread but GET A CROCK POT AND EVERYTHING IS EASY!

You can do any kind of roasts with vegies and even add rice, wings, and cider!

I love love love my crock pot and you can do just about anything with little prep time! i prep the night before and seriously just throw stuff in a pot and hope for the best! :)

wowzer Community Regular

Waldorf salad, chop one delicious apple, 1 stalk of celery, chopped walnuts or pecans and mix with mayonaise or yogurt. You could add turkey or use other fruits.

lonewolf Collaborator

I have 4 kids, so we eat a lot of kid-friendly, "normal" looking food.

Dinners:

Spaghetti and meatballs - Tinkyada pasta, homemade sauce (I think Prego is gluten-free) and turkey meatballs.

Tacos - Hard corn tortillas, ground turkey seasoned with McCormick's seasoning, refried beans, olives, cheese, lettuce, salsa.

Meatloaf - use a regular recipe and substitute gluten-free breadcrumbs or rice crispy type cereal.

Curried Chicken - served over rice

Hamburgers- on gluten-free bread or buns, with baked beans and oven fries

Hotdogs

Roast chicken - with baked potatoes and cooked carrots. Easy on time bake!

Lasagna - don't cook the noodles ahead and it's way easier!

Chicken breasts cooked in barbecue sauce or enchilada sauce over rice (easy in crockpot!)

Pizza - homemade crust or favorite pre-made

Stew - meat, carrots, potatoes, onions cooked in crockpot

Mexican lasagna - use enchilada sauce and corn tortillas in place of spaghetti sauce and noodles.

Chicken Caesar salad - with or without croutons

Taco Salad

Taco Soup - ground beef or turkey, McCormick seasoning, chunky tomato sauce, canned beans, taco sauce, frozen corn.

I use my crockpot and oven time bake so I can prepare stuff ahead and then either put it in the oven or crockpot in the morning. It's great to have dinner hot and ready when I get home from work! I also cook up big batches of taco meat and freeze it to make it faster to make tacos, salads or soup.

Lunches:

Dinner leftovers

Salads with deli meat (or ?) on top

Grilled sandwiches (most bread tastes good this way)

Breakfasts:

Cereal and a handful of almonds

Smoothies - fruit, milk (or rice milk) and protein powder

Scrambled eggs and toast

Bacon or sausage and toast or...

Trader Joe's waffles

French Toast - again, almost any bread tastes good this way

For snacks we eat nuts, dried fruit, fresh fruit, lots of homemade PB cookies (the 3 ingredient recipe), occasionally chips, carrot sticks, Blue Diamond Almond Thins and popcorn.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bakingbarb Enthusiast
Waldorf salad, chop one delicious apple, 1 stalk of celery, chopped walnuts or pecans and mix with mayonaise or yogurt. You could add turkey or use other fruits.

Oh you hit the spot. This is what we will be eating saturday. This is my fav salad and as soon as I mentioned this my honey said oh ya!

bakingbarb Enthusiast
I have 4 kids, so we eat a lot of kid-friendly, "normal" looking food.

Dinners:

Spaghetti and meatballs - Tinkyada pasta, homemade sauce (I think Prego is gluten-free) and turkey meatballs.

Tacos - Hard corn tortillas, ground turkey seasoned with McCormick's seasoning, refried beans, olives, cheese, lettuce, salsa.

Meatloaf - use a regular recipe and substitute gluten-free breadcrumbs or rice crispy type cereal.

Curried Chicken - served over rice

Hamburgers- on gluten-free bread or buns, with baked beans and oven fries

Hotdogs

Roast chicken - with baked potatoes and cooked carrots. Easy on time bake!

Lasagna - don't cook the noodles ahead and it's way easier!

Chicken breasts cooked in barbecue sauce or enchilada sauce over rice (easy in crockpot!)

Pizza - homemade crust or favorite pre-made

Stew - meat, carrots, potatoes, onions cooked in crockpot

Mexican lasagna - use enchilada sauce and corn tortillas in place of spaghetti sauce and noodles.

Chicken Caesar salad - with or without croutons

Taco Salad

Taco Soup - ground beef or turkey, McCormick seasoning, chunky tomato sauce, canned beans, taco sauce, frozen corn.

I use my crockpot and oven time bake so I can prepare stuff ahead and then either put it in the oven or crockpot in the morning. It's great to have dinner hot and ready when I get home from work! I also cook up big batches of taco meat and freeze it to make it faster to make tacos, salads or soup.

Lunches:

Dinner leftovers

Salads with deli meat (or ?) on top

Grilled sandwiches (most bread tastes good this way)

Breakfasts:

Cereal and a handful of almonds

Smoothies - fruit, milk (or rice milk) and protein powder

Scrambled eggs and toast

Bacon or sausage and toast or...

Trader Joe's waffles

French Toast - again, almost any bread tastes good this way

For snacks we eat nuts, dried fruit, fresh fruit, lots of homemade PB cookies (the 3 ingredient recipe), occasionally chips, carrot sticks, Blue Diamond Almond Thins and popcorn.

These all sound so good. I like that you include nuts, they are so good and good for us. Oh ya those PB cookies are great, since finding out about them I have tired to keep the dough in the freezer ready to bake.

lonewolf Collaborator
Oh ya those PB cookies are great, since finding out about them I have tired to keep the dough in the freezer ready to bake.

I discovered that you can make chocolate chip cookie dough, roll it into balls and freeze them individually. Then bag them and you can bake any amount later. Of course, my kids seem to like to eat frozen cookie dough balls as much as the baked cookies!

Bakingbarb - I know that you're somewhere in the Seattle area. Have you heard about the new bakery opening up in Kent? I'll be curious to see how it is. A friend of mine knows the ladies who are opening it up. I'm hoping it's good! I love to bake, but it's always fun to get to eat something that someone else made too.

Emily Elizabeth Enthusiast

What a great post! I had no idea that yoplait was gluten free. I was just sticking to plain yogurt to be safe. Thanks!

I like to pop popcorn on a skillet in some olive oil and add some salt and grated parmasean cheese for a nice snack during the day. It's a great way to get added fiber in your diet!

My fall-back food, when I don't have any other leftovers to take to work is a Open Original Shared Link. I just take broccoli out of the freezer (or 1/2 can of green beans) and toss it in a tupperware container with a can of tuna, some cottage cheese and a sprinkling of shredded mozarella (or any cheese I have on hand). I take it to work and just heat it up in the microwave for 2 mins, stir and eat. It's really good and very nutritious!

bakingbarb Enthusiast
I discovered that you can make chocolate chip cookie dough, roll it into balls and freeze them individually. Then bag them and you can bake any amount later. Of course, my kids seem to like to eat frozen cookie dough balls as much as the baked cookies!

Bakingbarb - I know that you're somewhere in the Seattle area. Have you heard about the new bakery opening up in Kent? I'll be curious to see how it is. A friend of mine knows the ladies who are opening it up. I'm hoping it's good! I love to bake, but it's always fun to get to eat something that someone else made too.

No I hadn't heard about that bakery. Yes I agree that it is always nice to be able to eat someone else food. I have always loved bakeries :D

Ya I am north

• 2 weeks later...
bakingbarb Enthusiast
I already posted this on a different thread, but I will post it again here.

Open Original Shared Link

Call me oversenstive but your post has really bothered me enough that I haven't wanted to come back much.

"I ALREADY POSTED THIS"

I appreciate the work you put into it but when you respond in such a manner it feels like how dare me for asking! I'm sure you didn't mean to come off this way but I thought I would let you know how it affected me.

I was asking for what people eat, not a list that one person made up.

Helpful hints, being new to this it helps to hear from many people not just read lists. There are lots of books and lists out there I personally need to hear from as many people as possible what they eat cause I can get bored pretty quickly with food.

Phyllis28 Apprentice

Microwave Mexican Pizza - layer shredded cheese, pepperoni and pizza sauce (I use Enrico's) between corn tortillas and microwave until the cheese is melted.

Stove top cheese and rice casserole - Cook rice with salt, pepper and garlic powder. When rice is done add cheese (I use 2/3 chedder and 1/3 monterey jack), and hamburger browned with salt, pepper and dried onion. The hamburger can be replaced with cooked chicken, ham or tuna fish.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Something always makes me smile

Milkshakes!!!

So easy-ice cream of choice, milk, and a little sugar and the blender.

Mango04 Enthusiast
Call me oversenstive but your post has really bothered me enough that I haven't wanted to come back much.

I can't speak for cruelshoes, but I say "I've already posted this" sometimes when I'm about to repeat information I've already posted, and it never occured to me that someone might feel attacked as a result. I just do it so people don't think I'm purposely bombarding the board with the same info. over and over.

Okay back to the thread.....

Last night I threw a bunch of random stuff into a pot (carrots, celerey, rice, lentils, quinoa, garlic, herbs, spinach, chicken broth) and boiled it. It turned into a really yummy and easy pilaf type thing.

VioletBlue Contributor

Some of my favorite meals.

Amy's gluten free mac and cheese. I sometimes add salsa and hamburger to it, or cut up hot dogs in it.

Thai Kitchen's individual serving packets of rice noodles make a great lunch. I add veggies or meat to it sometimes.

Stir fry using Thai Kitchen rice noddles with veggies and meat in a simple WF soy sauce and sesame oil with ginger sauce.

Roasted chicken, beef roast or pork loin with a green salad

Sausage mushroom spinach and cheese frittata.

I finally found a decent recipe for gluten free, corn free, potato free wraps. So, some left over meat and veggies in a wrap with mayo. The wrap cut up and fried also makes a decent dip chip along the lines of a pita chip texture and weight.

Catfish breaded in rice bread crumbs with herbs and spaces and pan friend. I used to crust the catfish in instant mashed potato flakes, but I can't tolerate potatoes anymore.

I occasionally eat tuna salad on lettuce, but I don't eat more than one can of tuna every couple weeks because I'm sensitive to Mercury.

Farmed salmon sushi. Farmed has less of a mercury content. I love making sushi.

Fried rice or mexican rice with meat and veggies in it.

Soups or stews with left over meat.

Bunless hamburgers.

Skinless boneless chicken strips cooked just through and finished with gluten-free BBQ sauce. I like Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ.

It seems when we all start here we are scratching our heads going what can we eat? So I thought a thread on what's easy to make would be helpful. I have only been doing this gluten-free for a month now and still run low on some days so all ideas would be great.

Here is what is easy for me and I like to eat plus it keeps me worry free

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

We also make

Cheesy Hashbrowns

diced potatoes ( we use frozen ones)

pour little oil into skillet and cook potatoes until almost finished

Chop up some cubes of ham and toss into the skillet

Right before it is all done spread your favorite cheese on top. We do cheddar. Mix quickly and you get cheesy hashbrowns

John also makes Beef and Mushrooms/Onions....which I love!

He fries up beef strips for stir-fry

in a seperate pan he marinates small oinions and thin mushrooms in buttter.

When the meat is ready he dumps the butter mix onto of the meat....mmm good!

cruelshoes Enthusiast

"I ALREADY POSTED THIS"

I appreciate the work you put into it but when you respond in such a manner it feels like how dare me for asking! I'm sure you didn't mean to come off this way but I thought I would let you know how it affected me.

I was asking for what people eat, not a list that one person made up.

Helpful hints, being new to this it helps to hear from many people not just read lists. There are lots of books and lists out there I personally need to hear from as many people as possible what they eat cause I can get bored pretty quickly with food.

I'm not really sure how my post was offensive.

I posted that disclaimer because I also posted the same list on the same day on another thread (Open Original Shared Link) within an few hours of posting it here. Many boards will ban you for spamming if you post the same thing more than once. On the other thread it was pronounced "awesome". As the title of your thread was "Easy To Make Foods And Easy To Eat Foods" and the list from GIG was "easy to find and easy to fix foods", it seemed like a natural fit. Sorry you didn't find it useful, but not everyone's advice will take the same form. On this board there often seems to be more than one thread going about a single topic.

bakingbarb Enthusiast
I'm not really sure how my post was offensive.

I posted that disclaimer because I also posted the same list on the same day on another thread (Open Original Shared Link) within an few hours of posting it here. Many boards will ban you for spamming if you post the same thing more than once. On the other thread it was pronounced "awesome". As the title of your thread was "Easy To Make Foods And Easy To Eat Foods" and the list from GIG was "easy to find and easy to fix foods", it seemed like a natural fit. Sorry you didn't find it useful, but not everyone's advice will take the same form. On this board there often seems to be more than one thread going about a single topic.

I didn't say your list wasn't good and I explained why it bothered me. Not trying to start a problem just saying that online it isn't as easy to communicate.

Guest j_mommy

Garlic cheese bread:

Toasted gluten-free bread

Put on pan..butter them, sprinkle on garlic powder, and top with mozz cheese

Put in oven set to briol and watch closely doesn't take too long!

Ofcourse thsi accompanies my spegetti!

Archived