Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Now I know!

Is It Really Celiac's?

Hi All~

I was recently (this week) diagnosed with Celiac's. However, after reading so many posts in here I wonder if I was misdiagnosed!! I don't/haven't had all the sypmtoms that you guys have had. Mine started about a year ago of just instant diahrrea after eating, sometimes not. Little cramping, little gas, no bloating. The dr. did a biopsy of small intestine and blood work. I wonder if she diagnosed this because she didn't know what else it could be. Should I get a second opinion? If that is different...then what???? LOL

Thanks for the help!!!

L.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If you were diagnosed by biopsy, then you have Celiac. There can be a range of presentations...from a silent Celiac (no symptoms) to someone who is debilitated by symptoms. Most people fall somewhere in the middle, but with varying symptoms. There isn't "one" type of Celiac.

Here are some good sites for reading:

www.celiac.com

http://www.celiaccentral.org/

www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.edu

www.celiaccenter.org

Misdiagnosis usually happens the other way, i.e., someone has it but it isn't recognized. Celiac damage is pretty specific to Celiac, so if you have the signs of it, you have it. The biopsy is the "gold standard" for a Celiac diagnosis.

I was one of those silent celiacs before diagnosis, i.e., I had no noticeable symptoms with the exception of low iron. Quite amazing, really, that I was diagnosed at all, considering that the average celiac waits eleven years for a correct diagnosis, and many of them have very obvious, often debilitating symptoms!

If they've found the antibodies in your blood, then you're celiac. The blood panel rules the condition in if positive (it doesn't rule it out if negative, however...but that's another whole post!)

Welcome to the board! :)

Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973

diagnosed celiac winter 2005

diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! 253.gif

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.

--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

it toke a year before i was DX i started with really bad stomach pains the doctor though i was crazy was ammited off and on in the hosp they though i was making it up, and fanilly my mom went to my ped doctor after a whole yr of being amitted being told i was faking it she fanilly got them to refe me to a GI doctor they did a snono for galstones then they did the enogscope and bi thats how they found out that i had celiac disease and after my bday i went gluten-free and this past yr i went back to having stomach pains everytime i ate the D, went to the doctor was amitted for 14 days did tests all came back fine, went for the both scopes showed that it was my celiac disease acting up, it toke all those years i hardly cheated maybe once a year, nope not doing it anymore because if i do i get bad stomach pains and feel like tossing my cookies,

If you were diagnosed by biopsy, then you have Celiac. There can be a range of presentations...from a silent Celiac (no symptoms) to someone who is debilitated by symptoms. Most people fall somewhere in the middle, but with varying symptoms. There isn't "one" type of Celiac.

Here are some good sites for reading:

www.celiac.com

http://www.celiaccentral.org/

www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.edu

www.celiaccenter.org

Misdiagnosis usually happens the other way, i.e., someone has it but it isn't recognized. Celiac damage is pretty specific to Celiac, so if you have the signs of it, you have it. The biopsy is the "gold standard" for a Celiac diagnosis.

Well! That definately clears that up!!!! Thanks for taking the time to respond! Going shopping today for books and info. Good day!