Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NancyHaas

Pregnant And Accidentally Had Gluten

Hi,

I am 9 weeks pregnant and I accidentally had gluten today. I am wondering if any of you have done this and have gone on to have a normal pregnancy. I've already had 2 ultrasounds with a healthy heartbeat and growing baby. I just hope I didn't mess anything up by not paying attention to my food. That's what I get for trying to eat out...especially with the pregnancy cravings.

Thanks for your help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I was nine weeks pregnant when I got glutened, and I came on here to find out the same thing. From what I found, everyone was fine. I was sure that I had just killed the baby. I was SO sick. Im now almost 15 weeks pregnant with a healthy baby. Good luck!

Getting glutened once in a while is unfortunately inevitable. You really can't worry about that. Just be as careful as possible without getting paranoid.

I am sure the baby will be just fine.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please don't worry about an accidental glutening--there are many of us who were undiagnosed at the time we were pregnant, and had healthy babies. You're way ahead of the game already being gluten-free!

Just do the best you can, relax and enjoy this special time :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Thank you so much for all your help. I know that the first trimester is so important and I've read so many horror stories about gluten and miscarriages that I think I just made myself paranoid. Sometimes I think all the information on the internet is more hurtful than helpful!! That plus all the hormonal changes right now just freaked me out. Thanks again for all your answers and I am sure I will be back for more questions since I don't know anyone who has Celiac disease and been pregnant. This forum has been so informative. :)

I was undiagnosed through 3 pregnancies and I now have 3 healthy children. :)

I think you're going to be just fine. Make sure you are staying hydrated though! Sometimes a little watered down gatorade or even some pedialyte is a good idea if you think you're getting dehydrated during pregnancy.