• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Hello Everyone,

I saw my doctor yesterday so I figured I would give you guys an update. I talked to her about some of the illnesses that I was told about by some of you, and an illness that I researched on my own.

1.) Sphincter of Oddi Dysfuntion - This is the illness that I had researched. It causes severe pain similar to gallbladder attacks because the Sphincter of Oddi cannot relax properly. I brought it up because I'm still in pain even after having my gallbladder removed. She said that it was a strong possibility, and that I should definitely be tested for it.

2.) Eosinophilic Disorders - I told her how my symptoms match pretty well with eos. She said that it should show up in my blood work if there is an excess number of eosinophils, and my blood work has been normal. I know that the true diagnosis is made by an endoscopic biopsy, so it's something that I'll still pursue once I find a gastroenterologist.

3.) Lyme Disease - I asked her if I have ever been tested for it, and after looking through my records, she said no. So she decided to test me for it, and I had my blood drawn for it. I'm not sure what lab she used for the Lyme test. I know that Igenex is considered to be the best, and hopefully she used it, but we'll see after the results are in.

She also decided to stool test me again for yeast, parasites, and dysbiotic bacteria, which I think is a really good idea. It's been almost a year since my last comprehensive stool test, and last time I had both a candida and pseudomonas overgrowth. So I'll be doing that in the next few days, and I should get the results back when I see her again in a month.

She also thinks that I need to see a new gastroenterologist, so she gave me the name of a great doctor at Boston Children's Hospital. I'm not sure if anyone has heard of him, but his name is Timothy Buie. She's hoping that he could refer me to a good gasrtoenterologist who treats adults. She told me that Dr. Buie treats autistic children and believes that there is a strong mind-gut connection, which is different than what most other gastroenterologists think. And I definitely think that I need a gastroenterologist who thinks differently. So hopefully he can refer me to someone like him.

Thankfully, she also said that she has no problem continuing the TPN until we figure something out. That definitely takes a load off of my shoulders. But anyway that's about it. Thanks for listening!

-Brian

Good luck on the progress!

Great update! Thanks!

I see a great gastroenterologist at NEMC in Boston, they have several different MDs all for adults all with different specialties. You should try there, they are very informed about Celiacs I found when I went in for my gastoparesis. :)

Thanks for the recommendation. It's good to hear that they are well-versed in Celiac Disease. I just hope I can find someone who will go beyond the standard tests and figure something out. The only thing that I'm concerned about in Boston is that the doctors are extremely full of themselves. And because of that, if they can't figure out what's wrong with you, it must be your fault because it's "all in your head". I had a whole team of doctors working on my case at Beth Israel, but when they couldn't figure anything out, they threw up their hands and sent in a psychiatrist. Hopefully it will be different this time,

-Brian

I'm on Cape Cod. When I went gluten-free about 6 years ago that made most of my symptoms go away. I had a good GI dr. and did have blood tests for EOS disease and they were really in the ok range.

Then I was scoped and I had tons of areas that tested positive for EGID (eosinophilic gastroenteritis intestinal disease).

So I don't think a blood test is the be all and end all for that.

I'm glad your continuing to look for issues, it certainly can take a long time!

Susan

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• March 24, 2019 Until March 27, 2019
      NEW ORLEANS GOURMET GLUTEN-FREE mini GETAWAY    March 24 ~ 27, 2019   We have arranged a fun and Gluten-free food filled mini in the city known for it's food and fun.  We have arranged to eat many of the famous dishes that aren't usually Gluten-free at a few of the World Renown restaurants.   Staying at the Royal Sonesta Hotel on Bourbon Street in the center of the French Quarter, you'll be able to enjoy the ambiance of the city at all hours.   Our itinerary will include a Luxury Coach tour of the city and surrounding area - Admission to The National World War II Museum, including the Tom Hanks" 4D film "Beyond All Boundaries" - an exciting Airboat ride and tour through the Bayou.      This it the 3rd time we have visited New Orleans and it has always been well attended, so join us even if you've been there before.  Check out our website for the complete itinerary and cost.    Due to contractual obligations we must have 20 participants by October 31, 2018 to make this a go.      If you have any questions just give us a call at 410-939-3218.  Bob & Ruth info@bobandruths.com (410) 939-3218
    • March 27, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • March 30, 2019 Until March 31, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com 

@Alaskaguy With regard to the timing, I think that everyone is a bit different! I used to have a shorter time to onset when I was first diagnosed (within 24h). As time has gone on, and I've glutened myself less and less, I have noticed that the time gets a bit longer.  Recent history seems to matter a bit too - if I've been glutened recently and then get glutened again, the rash will show up faster on the second round. For example, in the last 3 weeks I got slightly glutened by inadvertent
  • Blog Entries