Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blondie

Gluten In Other Grains/plants?

Can gluten be found in other grains/plants than wheat, bareley, rye and oath?

Gluten-free, almost 2 years

Egg-free, never cared much for eggs anyways

Lactose light, only causes minor d by now

Fructose light, found the source of my unexplainable gluten-like reactions

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Scientifically, "gluten" is a term for the plant protein in all grains. So, yes, there is technically corn gluten, rice gluten, etc. But those glutens are structurally (chemically) very different from wheat, barley, rye, and oat gluten, and do not cause the autoimmune reaction in celiacs that wheat, rye, barley, and oat glutens cause.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

The protein part of various foods (not only plant foods) are called 'lectins'. And it is possible to be intolerant to lectins in general, which will include gluten (I have that problem).

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The type of gluten not allowed for Celiacs is found in:

Wheat

Spelt

Kamut

Barley

Rye

Oats are controversial because there are two possiblilities: 1) a celiac person is reacting to the protiens in the oats, or 2) the oats are contaminated with wheat. I will not risk eating Quacker Oats, but do occasionally eat McCanns and BobsRedMill (the regular, not the special gluten-free ones) and do not have a reaction. There are now several companies that make Gluten Free oats, meaning they are totally free of wheat contamination.

Good Luck,

Pam