• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Katester

The Others...

Rate this topic

Ever since I've been diagnosed, I've adjusted my eating habits and everything. I'm careful about what I eat and what I can't eat. The thing that gets me is that no one understands. I get stomach aches usually all the time. Everyone thinks that I just can't eat gluten but I should be fine. No one understand that I actually feel pain very often. People think I'm faking to get out of school and stuff like that. My parents try and act like they're there for me but I know they are having a hard time believing me too. I don't have the time I need to heal because of how fast the world is moving. Just frustrated I guess...

Ever since I've been diagnosed, I've adjusted my eating habits and everything. I'm careful about what I eat and what I can't eat. The thing that gets me is that no one understands. I get stomach aches usually all the time. Everyone thinks that I just can't eat gluten but I should be fine. No one understand that I actually feel pain very often. People think I'm faking to get out of school and stuff like that. My parents try and act like they're there for me but I know they are having a hard time believing me too. I don't have the time I need to heal because of how fast the world is moving. Just frustrated I guess...

We understand here.

It can be very tough, how long ago were you diagnosed? Are you the only one in the house that is gluten free right now? I hope the doctor who diagnosed you let everyone know that they need to be tested also. If you haven't been doing the diet for very long it can take some time to heal. It can also take time to ferret out hidden gluten sources like in our shampoos, cosmetics and even stuff like pet food. You have found a good place with a lot of folks who will understand. Make sure you ask any questions you need to. And lastly (((((((((((HUGS))))))))))

I was diagnosed about a month ago. I'm sort of having a hard time adjusting. I don't mind the food or anything like that. I like a lot of the gluten-free foods better! It's just hard with school and stuff. I'm the only one in my family right now. I think the rest of my family knows they need to get tested soon too. If there is gluten in the shampoo and conditioner I use, does that still affect me? I don't understand how hairspray and things like that get into my body. I still have a lot of questions about this kind of stuff. The nutritionist wasn't much help. Thank you so much! :D

I was diagnosed about a month ago. I'm sort of having a hard time adjusting. I don't mind the food or anything like that. I like a lot of the gluten-free foods better! It's just hard with school and stuff. I'm the only one in my family right now. I think the rest of my family knows they need to get tested soon too. If there is gluten in the shampoo and conditioner I use, does that still affect me? I don't understand how hairspray and things like that get into my body. I still have a lot of questions about this kind of stuff. The nutritionist wasn't much help. Thank you so much! :D

I've heard a lot of stories about how nutritionists aren't much help. I hope we can help.

About your hair stuff. I know my hair gets in my mouth all the time. Even if you always wear your hair up, if you spray hairsoray in the air, you will breathe it in, and it will be in the nasal drip that eventually gets swallowed. I know it doesn't seem like much, but it's still not good for you. It's more dangerous with your shampoo though, because I find it impossible to keep my suds from going down my face, and if you open your mouth just once, you can get glutened. Ask all the questions you want!

My parents finally got it when they asked me how often my tummy hurt and I said it was easier to tell them how often it didn't hurt...

If you haven't already done so, try avoiding dairy and see how you feel. That is a very common problem for many on this board, including myself. There are other common allergens to consider, and I suppose you may get better advice by simply reading through some of the threads to see if you identify with what others are saying. Things like soy, corn, peanuts, tree nuts, and nightshades are among the most problematic.

Hope you feel better soon!

I went through this at school, etc. I'm 17 and when I was in HS it was very hard at first, but I always ate healthfully anyway. I never took sandwhiches, etc. anyway so in that sense it was fine. BUT, it was very hard at parties and social gatherings because I would almost always get sick just to "fit" in. I never purposely ate gluten, but I did eat out at restaurants without talking to the waiter/waitress. I almost always got/get sick when I eat out.

Something that got my friends to come around was when they say me eating things like skittles, etc. because they realized gluten free isn't a death sentence! Slowwwwwly but surely my friends came around. Now they will even ask me where to go out to eat so I can eat (but I have too many intolerances now to really do that anyway...but the thought is what counts!)

One day not too long ago a friend called me and told me she wanted to go gluten free, but needed my help. I helped her, went shopping with her. She didn't stay on the diet, because she said it "didn't fit into her lifesytle." Well, I don't think it fits anyone's, but we do it anyway. She did tell me that she admires me because I am so strict with my diet.

So, eventually your friends will come around. Also, DON'T cheat in front of them, WHATEVER you do! They will then just think you don't take it seriously. :)