Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alou123

Soooooooooo Hard

:angry: This is soooooooooo hard! Being on a gluten free diet is not like other diets. This diet, if you eat something your not supposed to, you get sick! Two days ago I was at a party. I didn't eat the fried chicken but I ate a brownie the size of a quarter. When I went to dance, my toes started tingling I got a headache.(the headache might have been from the music) It stinks!

Anna Louise

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It sounds like you're pretty new to celiac/gluten intolerance. Don't think of this as a "diet" the way you might think of a weight-loss diet, instead think of it as a lifestyle overhaul. You really can't eat ANY gluten at all...one crumb is enough to leave me doubled-over. Even though you may not feel sick from it, it is still doing its damage. You also have to consider cross-contamination- I brought gluten-free cookies to a party last night, and at the end of the night, they wound up on the same plate as gluteny ones...that makes them unsafe. Don't use the same cutting boards, colanders, wooden spoons, or baking sheets as your gluten eating family.

That proably sounds really restrictive. The good news is that there's tons you can eat. My friends are totally used to my gluten-free diet by now. At parties, I eat cut-up fruit and veggies, potato chips, tortilla chips, popcorn, etc. I just take food at the beginning of the night before people have a chance to stick their gluten-covered hands in the bowls. There are also great gluten-free subtitutes for ALL your favorites. Ask around before you buy though, as there are many that taste like cardboard. But those that are good, they're great! Glutino is a great brand, as is gluten-free pantry for baking mixes.

Good luck!

Gluten Free since 10/07

Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme

Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...

DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

I don't think of this as a diet in the common usage of the term, either. I think if it as my life. If I want to live to my 30th birthday, I don't eat gluten.

On a weight-loss diet, the consequences of eating something you shouldn't aren't too severe - maybe you don't lose a pound that week, but no biggie. With celiac, you eat something you shouldn't and you get cancer. The strange thing to me is that now I don't see gluten food the same way as non-gluten food. I know it's technically edible and I'm fascinated by it, but it never, ever occurs to me that I should eat it.

My best advice is to plan ahead. Don't go to the party hungry and bring some food with you if you think you'll get hungry later. If you know there will be brownies and they're a temptation for you, make your own gluten-free ones. Don't feel badly asking the hostess in advance what she's making so you can plan ahead. A lot of times I'll be out and see something really yummy looking that has gluten so first thing I do when I get home is to make my own version. In my purse I have my essentials with me at all times: wallet, cell phone, lipstick, and a snack.

This does get easier. At first it's so hard to know what you can and cannot eat, but give it time and you'll get it down.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

So here's the deal

I was thirteen(th birthday to be exact) when I found out.

We went all-out hard-core style when it came to starting. Most people slowly get into it...

Well.

It sucked.

I cried after dinner everyday for a few months.

I stopped eating.

I kinda went into depression over oreos.

But in all honesty.

The first month is the hardest.

If you can be super strict for the first month, then the rest isn't too bad.

I mean. You're gunna miss the food. Most of us do.

But the hardest part is the first month.