Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sister golden hair

Chubby In N.y.

I have been on a gluten free diet for close to 5 years now and was diagnosed in Dec. 07. I find i gain weight much easier by eating gluten free foods . Does anyone know if there is a special diet for celiacs to use as a guidline such as carb counting or calories. I really don't snack much and am a very healthy eater. It is very hard to get my weight down. Any suggestions ? Even if I exercise I notice I don't lose weight very fast and it is hard to build muscle. I am also having stomach problem again and have to have some more tests done. Thanks for input, sistergoldenhair

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have been on a gluten free diet for close to 5 years now and was diagnosed in Dec. 07. I find i gain weight much easier by eating gluten free foods . Does anyone know if there is a special diet for celiacs to use as a guidline such as carb counting or calories. I really don't snack much and am a very healthy eater. It is very hard to get my weight down. Any suggestions ? Even if I exercise I notice I don't lose weight very fast and it is hard to build muscle. I am also having stomach problem again and have to have some more tests done. Thanks for input, sistergoldenhair

You could try either the South Beach Diet or the Paleo diet. Both can be done easily gluten free. Some people here say Weight Watchers is easy to do.

You might have your thyroid tested too when you see the doctor. That is sometimes the cause of not losing weight.

Regarding the stomach issues, you could also have other intolerances - soy, dairy, corn, nightshades like some people on this board. Or you could be intolerant of grains in general.

HTH. Just my $0.02 worth.

Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

Join eNewsletter

Also, check the labels on your gluten-free foods, even though you probably already are. A lot of times it seems like foods that are made to replace gluten foods (such as breads, snack bars, cereals, cakes, pie crusts, pizza crusts, etc) are really high in calories. I'd guess they're just trying to make them taste better, of course. Maybe just eat some basic foods that are naturally gluten free like veggies, meats, fruits, brown rice, and those things and see what happens. I guess that's kind of a low carb diet, but it kind of happens naturally when you cut out gluten.

Good luck!

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter