Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

imsohungry

Bladder Cocktails For Ic

Hey fellow IC people,

I was diagnosed awhile back using hydro-distention. Anyway, I'm taking Elmiron, atarax, pyrideum, and an "Oxy" patch for the IC, Rx by my urologist...not sure of the spelling on those meds.

I had a flare-up recently, and my doctor ordered a six week bladder "cocktail." So, once a week, I go for my catheter appointment. The actual insertion, etc. doesn't hurt, nor does it hurt to urinate out the meds. an hour later. But honestly, as soon as the meds. hit the air it's like a fireball has just hit my genitals.

Anybody else have this procedure done? I have had one week where it didn't burn, but the other three weeks (today included) have felt like I had serious burns on private areas. It usually subsides in a few hours...it helps if I sit in a cool bath. But, still, those two hours seem like forever!

I'm just curious if I am a whimp or what. :rolleyes:

Thanks for responding.

Loves of my life: God, my hubby, and my baby boy!

"I will never give up on my dreams; I will simply modify my path for reaching them." (JH-me).

"Life's a dance you learn as you go, sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow"

(John Michael Montgomery).

"I'm gonna be somebody, one of these days I'm gonna break these chains" (Travis Tritt).

"Life is better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."

(Garth Brooks).

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I had my bladder scoped once... OW! The actual procedure, like you said, isn't bad but the pain when you pee afterwards is hideous. They gave me some kind of pills that made my pee orange that were supposed to help with the pain. I suppose they did. Man, it is hard getting yourself to "let go" when you know that pain is coming.

Anyway, I feel for you! Almost literally.

Join eNewsletter

I had my bladder scoped once... OW! The actual procedure, like you said, isn't bad but the pain when you pee afterwards is hideous. They gave me some kind of pills that made my pee orange that were supposed to help with the pain. I suppose they did. Man, it is hard getting yourself to "let go" when you know that pain is coming.

Anyway, I feel for you! Almost literally.

Thanks for your support Nancy. :) Although, I'm sorry to hear that you felt that same way. The med. that turned your pee orange was probably Pyrideum...my pee stays orange (I take Pyrideum daily). Let's just say my toilet never looks clean...it always has that faint Pyrideum "glow." :P

Take care of yourself. -Julie :)

"I will never give up on my dreams; I will simply modify my path for reaching them." (JH-me).

"I'm gonna be somebody, one of these days I'm gonna break these chains" (Travis Tritt).

"Life is better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."

(Garth Brooks).

Join eNewsletter

Anybody else have this procedure done? I have had one week where it didn't burn, but the other three weeks (today included) have felt like I had serious burns on private areas. It usually subsides in a few hours...it helps if I sit in a cool bath. But, still, those two hours seem like forever!

The fact that one week it didn't burn is kind of telling. They usually use a topical anesthetic before the insertion, you should find out if they have used a different topical that week. There may be something in the topical that you are reacting to. Ask them to check the record and use whatever they used the time it didn't burn. I would also get a mirror and look for blisters, if by some chance the topical they are using isn't gluten free that would cause a burn and possibly blisters from contact with your mucous membranes.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

The fact that one week it didn't burn is kind of telling. They usually use a topical anesthetic before the insertion, you should find out if they have used a different topical that week. There may be something in the topical that you are reacting to. Ask them to check the record and use whatever they used the time it didn't burn. I would also get a mirror and look for blisters, if by some chance the topical they are using isn't gluten free that would cause a burn and possibly blisters from contact with your mucous membranes.

Thank you for the info. I'll ask to see if they used the same anethetic every time.

I appreciate the suggestion! :)

-Julie

(Garth Brooks).

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter