Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oriana

Soy

Hi everyone,

I seem to have problems with soy. I've read that a lot of people with gluten problems also have problems with soy. Does anyone know what the connection between the two are? I just don't understand why one would cause the other. I understand it as far as lactose goes because once you heal you can add it back. But soy isn't like that, is it? I just wonder if anyone knows what the connection is!

thanks!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have had problems with soy. For me I think it was my vastly increased dependence on soy following my switch to the gluten-free life. I cut it out completely and can now handle small amounts. I've since learned to rotate my foods and pay careful attention to how I feel. I keep a food/symptom diary that helps me track all of this.

I think a lot of it depends on the state of your gut - if it's badly damaged the proteins in soy could be wreaking havoc along with other food proteins. Soy is also very estrogenic and not really all that good for you.

Join eNewsletter

Does soy damage the villi too? Just curious. I think I'm going to keep a food log too.

I have had problems with soy. For me I think it was my vastly increased dependence on soy following my switch to the gluten-free life. I cut it out completely and can now handle small amounts. I've since learned to rotate my foods and pay careful attention to how I feel. I keep a food/symptom diary that helps me track all of this.

I think a lot of it depends on the state of your gut - if it's badly damaged the proteins in soy could be wreaking havoc along with other food proteins. Soy is also very estrogenic and not really all that good for you.

Join eNewsletter

Along with the grains, Soy is yet another food that has been genetically 'mucked about' with.

A friend of mine was saying today that she had a problem with Soy Milk. She took it to an alternative practitioner she goes to, for testing. He tested her against some 'pure' soy milk he had and she was fine, when he tested her against the soy milk she had brought she reacted. It was just bog-standard soy milk from Tescos.

How on earth we can find stuff that hasn't been interfered with is beyond me. Possibly the only way is to test different products until we find one that we can cope with, or ask the manufacturers what source their beans are from. It could even be chemicals that the beans have been sprayed with whilst growing that affects whether we react or not!

I am sure good beans from a good 'uninterfered with' source would be fine - at the end of the day they are just beans - it's what they do to them afterwards that is the problem!

Someone posts a link on the forum to illustrate how bad soy is - are you out there Great Bear?

Ali - 50 - struggled with what I now know to be GI symptoms and poor carb digestion for at least 35 years! Diabetic type II (1997). Mother undx Celiac - lifelong diabetic Type 1 & anemic (plus 1 stillborn and 10 miscarriages after me). Father definitely very GI.

Stopped gluten & dairy, Jan 08, but still other issues so dropped most carbs and sugar and have been following the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) since March 08. Recovery slow but steady and I can now eat a much broader range of foods especially raw which are good for my digestion and boost my energy level.

Not getting better? Try the SCD - it might just change your life.........

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter