Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sarad1

More School Food Days.....

My step son's school is having a safari day this Friday and they are making spiders with crakers and pretzel sticks. Anyone have any ideas on how I can make some sort of 'creature' for him out of gluten free foods? I hate to think of him not being able to make something cool.

Also, would anyone know how I could make blini's gluten free? (Russian pancakes).....yes, they are having a Russian day.

Step son (the youngest boy in picture) diagnosed with Celiac December of 2006, family eats gluten free most of the time, but not always.

I believe my husband also has Celiac, but is too stubborn to be tested.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

http://www.cookitsimply.com/recipe-0010-07v816.html

Here's a recipe for the blinis, although they look a lot like reg. pancakes- you could probably get away with that.

As for the critters, Glutino makes both crackers and pretzel sticks that look and taste just like the real thing. Other good building materials: Marshmallows, raisins, peanut butter (if allowed), small candies (m&ms, gummies, etc.), popcorn, the works

I can't think of any specific critters now, but you could always create an alien or a monster :lol:

Gluten Free since 10/07

Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme

Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...

DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

Join eNewsletter

http://www.cookitsimply.com/recipe-0010-07v816.html

Here's a recipe for the blinis, although they look a lot like reg. pancakes- you could probably get away with that.

As for the critters, Glutino makes both crackers and pretzel sticks that look and taste just like the real thing. Other good building materials: Marshmallows, raisins, peanut butter (if allowed), small candies (m&ms, gummies, etc.), popcorn, the works

I can't think of any specific critters now, but you could always create an alien or a monster :lol:

Thank you so much! I was thinking about something along the same lines with the pretzels and crackers if I could find them. I'm not that creative, though! The other thing is that I will not be there, his mother is going to be there but she will not provide a snack. So if I send the ingredients in she will have to make them with him and who knows if she even will.

As far as the blinis, they are a lot like regular pancakes but they are really really thin and they are eaten more with a savory food, like sour cream dips. Kinda wierd that they are having them for kindergarten children. Thank you so much for that recipe!

Step son (the youngest boy in picture) diagnosed with Celiac December of 2006, family eats gluten free most of the time, but not always.

Join eNewsletter

This is what I did for tomorrow's spiders.....

I found some gluten-free round crackers, spreading them with peanut butter, using chocolate chips for eyes, and since I couldn't find any gluten-free pretzel sticks (only rounds) I got some fruit rollups and cut them so that they can be used for the legs. Not the prettiest things, but he liked them! I knew he would like the ingredients, so why feed him something he doesn't like even if it doesn't look pretty?

Join eNewsletter

This is what I did for tomorrow's spiders.....

I found some gluten-free round crackers, spreading them with peanut butter, using chocolate chips for eyes, and since I couldn't find any gluten-free pretzel sticks (only rounds) I got some fruit rollups and cut them so that they can be used for the legs. Not the prettiest things, but he liked them! I knew he would like the ingredients, so why feed him something he doesn't like even if it doesn't look pretty?

Sounds cute! As long as he liked them that's all that matters :lol:

Join eNewsletter

Well, I went through all that trouble for nothing. My step son's mother was going to the field trip with him today, so I e-mailed her to tell her where his snack was and how we put them together....she e-mailed me after they got home from school and said he never got around to doing the snack station part of the field trip and that she forgot to bring all of the stuff home so now it's going to sit at the school all weekend and he never even got to use any of it! I'm relatively sure it was done on purpose, my feeling is that she could have taken the stuff home and made them with him and his baby sister. Whatever....at least he got to make them at my house! I'm just frustrated, that stuff was not cheap!

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter