Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stolly

What Is The Normal Range For Endomysial Antibody?

Just wondering about the normal range for endomysial antibody. My daughter's pedi GI doc said she was 1:80, and said she's low positive. Her tTG was also mildly elevated, but biopsy was inconclusive...showed villi damage, but not the usual increase of lymphocytes in the tissue...which could be skewed by the methotrexate she's on for arthritis. We started the gluten free diet two days ago, plan is to check her weight and bloodwork again to check for response. Anyway, I'm just trying to put all of the pieces together, and was curious to know the normal range for EMA.

Thanks

Holly

DD5: juveline rheumatoid arthritis 8/07; celiac 3/08

DS3: negative blood tests

Me and DH: negative blood tests

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

This will vary by lab. What you can do is ask your doctor for a copy of the lab reports, it will give you the ranges.

With celiac panels though a positive is a positive. I am glad your doctor advised the diet. I hate it when I see doctors say to just continue to eat gluten and they will rebiopsy in a year to see if it is celiac 'yet'. Chances are very good that she will get more relief than expected from the diet. I was astounded when my arthritis went into remission within 6 months. You have found a great place for info on the diet and all that goes with it. Welcome to the boards and ask any query you need to. Be sure to check her meds for gluten, especially if she is on any generics. I don't know if methotrexate is gluten-free but I do know it didn't do much for me. The best way to check is by contacting the maker yourself. All scripts come with info sheets that will give you a phone number. I hope she is feeling better soon and don't forget to at least screen all in the family.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Thank you ravenwoodglass. Her doctor actually suggested "loading her up with gluten" and repeating the biopsy as one option since he thinks the diet is so "restrictive," but we refused since trying the gluten free diet is not invasive/harmful, and will hopefully help her and confirm the diagnsis. Fortunately he also felt the gluten-free diet was an option, but we would have done it anyway. I spoke w/her pharmacist yesterday and I'm calling all of the companies today. Thanks again

Holly

DD5: juveline rheumatoid arthritis 8/07; celiac 3/08

DS3: negative blood tests

Me and DH: negative blood tests

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter