Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stolly

Since Dd Likely Has Celiac, I'd Like For The Rest Of Us To Be Tested

DD's (2.5) tTG and endomysial antibdies were positive, she has HLA-DQ2, and biopsy inconclusive, so we started the gluten free diet 5 days ago...and hopefully she will start feeling better and gaining!

Her doctor hasn't made any recommendations, but I'd like my husband and I to be tested. Should I just ask my primary care physician to order the celiac panel below?

Anti-gliadin antibodies (AGA) both IgA and IgG

Anti-endomysial antibodies (EMA) - IgA

Anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies (tTG) - IgA

Total IgA level.

Or should I ask him to order HLA-DQ2 and HLA-DQ8 to see which one of us, or if both of us, has HLA-DQ2 or possibly HLA-DQ8 also them? Am I missing anything else? We plan to go through our insurance. I thought I might have read someone on the forum not recommending to have the HLA testing through insurance since it could cause a problem in the future.

We also have a 4 month old son who has only gotten gluten through my breastmilk. When should he be tested...at age 2, or sooner if he develps symptoms?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Holly

DD5: juveline rheumatoid arthritis 8/07; celiac 3/08

DS3: negative blood tests

Me and DH: negative blood tests

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes you should both at least have a blood screening. In countries where they screen children routinely they do it at age 4 and again around puberty. Regardless of the blood testing you and your family may want to go gluten free for a couple of months and then just add it back in and see if unexpected results occur. My family was surprised how many things other than just the tummy gluten effected.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter