Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gentleheart

Medication Used To Soothe Glutening Symptoms

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Does anyone use inderal LA and xanax for gluten-caused anxiety and subsequent hypertension? What's your opinion of it?

I don't know about the inderal but the Xanax does not have a gluten-free form, so I would avoid that one. Have you thought about maybe going with acupuncture for anxiety relief? It may do the trick and not mess with you brain chemistry. For many being gluten free takes care of these issues and they only come back when glutened. My family just deals with the occasional mental effects from being glutened because we know they are limited. For others the diet is not enough and I will let them give advice on the inderal.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Xanax does have a gluten free form. You just have to call the pharmacutical labs and check for the gluten free status of the drug. I finally found a generic Xanax (Alprazolam) made by Mylan Labs, which is gluten free. I did make many calls until I found it. Then, of course, you have to call the pharmacies to find one that carries this generic, but it can be done. NEVER SAY NEVER! An associate at Mylan Labs told me that most of their meds are gluten free, but to always call and make sure. I have had to use my Xanax 3 times this year and have never had a bad side effect from it--finally, I do not react to my Xanax and I am so happy about that.

I have taken it once for a glutening, and the other 2 times for panic. I have been very stressed at work as of late. Try to find a pharmacy that carries the Mylan brand of Xanax (Alprazolam).

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

Join eNewsletter

Xanax does have a gluten free form. You just have to call the pharmacutical labs and check for the gluten free status of the drug. I finally found a generic Xanax (Alprazolam) made by Mylan Labs, which is gluten free. I did make many calls until I found it. Then, of course, you have to call the pharmacies to find one that carries this generic, but it can be done. NEVER SAY NEVER! An associate at Mylan Labs told me that most of their meds are gluten free, but to always call and make sure. I have had to use my Xanax 3 times this year and have never had a bad side effect from it--finally, I do not react to my Xanax and I am so happy about that.

I have taken it once for a glutening, and the other 2 times for panic. I have been very stressed at work as of late. Try to find a pharmacy that carries the Mylan brand of Xanax (Alprazolam).

Hi Deb,

I switched from Xanax (due to gluten issue) to Klonopin six months ago, but would rather have Mylan alprozolam. I was planning on calling the local pharmacies to see if it is avalable (some Walgreens and CVS stores carry it), but I wondered if you may know of one in the NYC area that carries Mylan's generic version.

Thanks!

Celiac diagnosis from positive blood work & endoscope (2005)

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 Subtype 2,8 (double Celiac genes)

Join eNewsletter

My Walmart gave me generic Zanax for $4, which happened to be Alprazolam from Mylan.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

Join eNewsletter

My Walmart gave me generic Zanax for $4, which happened to be Alprazolam from Mylan.

best regards, lm

There are no Walmarts in New York City at this time, but I made some calls today and found that a CVS in my area has the Mylan Alprozolam, so as soon as I get the Rx that's where I'm going to have it filled.

Thanks

Celiac diagnosis from positive blood work & endoscope (2005)

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 Subtype 2,8 (double Celiac genes)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter