Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kicannon

Cross Contamination Help

I am fairly new to this world. I was diagnosed in November 07, and have had an interesting transition. After being gluten free for 2 months I felt 110% better. Even though I only felt maybe 65% healthy all together. But I seem to be having trouble with what I can only imagine as cross contamination. My reactions tend to be more in my head. I do have stomach issues, but my face gets burning hot, my mind becomes extremely foggy, I have trouble speaking, my memory goes to sh*t, and so on. My household is completely gluten free or so I thought. I have replaced the majority of my kitchenware trying to rid anything still containing gluten. But I feel like I have been at this stage without further improvement for about 2 months now. I feel like I have gluten in my system at times. Is it because my body is still flushing out the gluten? I notice I feel iffy if I eat something that is harder to digest. I get small symptoms like before. I'm just concerned there is something that I'm missing in terms of cross contamination or something that I'm eating (but I am so careful about that). I need help! How did you all overcome this and get yourself back to 100% health? Thank you in advance for any and all responses.

Kiel

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I do have stomach issues, but my face gets burning hot, my mind becomes extremely foggy, I have trouble speaking, my memory goes to sh*t, and so on.

Have you looked into other causes of flushing such as my favorite under-diagnosed one here:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/carcinoid-syndrome/DS00690

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000347.htm

its not one disease per customer, you can have celiac and something else too. Cheerful thought. Not :(

There are, of course, other causes of flushing and stomach issues but I just wanted to get this one in here.

I don't eat gluten and neither do my cats

Join eNewsletter

for me, going on 2 years gluten-free, it was strange cross contamination issues like licking envelops. Paying bills was making me really sick again! :D

There are other non-food issues as well. I cant walk into other kitchens if they've been baking bread or the bakery depts. of grocery stores etc. Just too much in the air.

There are also so many hidden sources in foods too -- personally, and I know others will disagree with me, I just dont trust labeling laws especially when it comes to foods produced elsewhere witht he US required labels over the foreign langauge labels. Aslo ingredients used elsewhere like malto-dextrin may or may not come from the country where the finished product was produced. So I just stay away from many things which might be safe and feel better for it.

good luck

ken

I am fairly new to this world. I was diagnosed in November 07, and have had an interesting transition. After being gluten free for 2 months I felt 110% better. Even though I only felt maybe 65% healthy all together. But I seem to be having trouble with what I can only imagine as cross contamination. My reactions tend to be more in my head. I do have stomach issues, but my face gets burning hot, my mind becomes extremely foggy, I have trouble speaking, my memory goes to sh*t, and so on. My household is completely gluten free or so I thought. I have replaced the majority of my kitchenware trying to rid anything still containing gluten. But I feel like I have been at this stage without further improvement for about 2 months now. I feel like I have gluten in my system at times. Is it because my body is still flushing out the gluten? I notice I feel iffy if I eat something that is harder to digest. I get small symptoms like before. I'm just concerned there is something that I'm missing in terms of cross contamination or something that I'm eating (but I am so careful about that). I need help! How did you all overcome this and get yourself back to 100% health? Thank you in advance for any and all responses.

Kiel

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter