Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TCollier

Celiac Detection In Toddler

My son is going on 2 and was just diagnosed with an Egg Allergy. My concern had been that he also has celiac diseas like myself. Since he is not able to tell me of symptoms I have had to just play it my "Mothers intuition"

If anyone has had this issue, what where the signs and symptoms thier toddler displayed. My son has the typical "Milk allergy, skin issues, and stool discomfort (foul smelling constipation). We are waiting on his blood pannel still, but that was not useful in my own diagnosis so Im not relying on it.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My son is going on 2 and was just diagnosed with an Egg Allergy. My concern had been that he also has celiac diseas like myself. Since he is not able to tell me of symptoms I have had to just play it my "Mothers intuition"

If anyone has had this issue, what where the signs and symptoms thier toddler displayed. My son has the typical "Milk allergy, skin issues, and stool discomfort (foul smelling constipation). We are waiting on his blood pannel still, but that was not useful in my own diagnosis so Im not relying on it.

Hi there! Welcome to the forums! B) I wanted to let you know that you may get more responses in the parents forum.

I have a toddler too, and I have had him tested. However, the results for small children can be very inaccurate.

Good luck to you and your little one! -Julie :)

Loves of my life: God, my hubby, and my baby boy!

"I will never give up on my dreams; I will simply modify my path for reaching them." (JH-me).

"Life's a dance you learn as you go, sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow"

(John Michael Montgomery).

"I'm gonna be somebody, one of these days I'm gonna break these chains" (Travis Tritt).

"Life is better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."

(Garth Brooks).

Join eNewsletter

[/quote

I hope that I am doing this properly. I just joined in order to respond to you! My daughter turned 3 February 2008 and was diagnosed Celiac that same week. I had never heard of Celiac. She would refuse to eat anything other than yogurt products and meat after breastfeeding ceased - we actually had to get very creative to get her to eat anything. She was very moody and withdrawn. I thought that she was just being willful. Prior to diagnosis, she had very large, painful stools every 3-4 days. They were smelly!!! She would cling to me and be miserable if away from family/comfort. She was born large (average), but her size diminished after weaning. My eldest daughter is small, so I thought nothing of this. Her speach was delayed. She ended up becoming completely malnurished and it was only by insistence that we got anywhere with doctors. Once her belly bloated and she was constantly exhausted, they did emergeny bloodwork on her. They did not test for Celiac. I took her to a pediatric GI and he suspected Celiac just from the symptoms. He ordered an endoscopy, biopsies and bloodwork. She is very positive Celiac. She has been gluten free for 4 weeks now and back to her lovely self! She laughs again! When I read your note, it reminded me of her. My caution to you, though, is that once you put your child gluten-free, the blood tests (should you need them) may come out negative. That is what I was told - once diet is gluten-free, you have to re-introduce gluten to get the true test results (and who wants to do that to their child???) I hope that your litte one's discomfort goes away quickly!

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter