Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest hightop girl

Frustrated In Colorado

Guest hightop girl

I am frustrated. I was diagnosed in July. At that time I was extremely anemic and had gained about 30 lbs, mostly water retention. Since August I got the anemia under control and lost about 25 pounds. I am training for a 1/2 ironman, and now have gained at least 5 pounds back. I really only eat fruits, veggies, and fish ( and really only a few potato chips) I somehow ate some gluten this weekend, spent the whole night getting sick, and today weigh even more. The weight gain just adds insult to injury. I do not eat any of the "gluten free" pasta or snacks... what the heck is going on?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

For some of us celiac can impact the function of the kidneys. When glutened we will retain water. That can cause a temporary increase on the scale until our system clears out. If you wear rings the easiest way to know if that is what is going on is if they are too tight after a glutening. Make sure you are getting lots of water it will help clear things out of your system as quickly as possible.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Guest hightop girl

Thanks. That makes sense. My body reacts the same way when I have seasonal allergies. It seems to be an autoimmune response for my body. Thank you for your support.

Join eNewsletter

Guest hightop girl

I live in the north part of Colorado Springs. I think I am going to try to find out when the support group here meets. This is just more complicated than I thought.

Join eNewsletter

Hey, It's me Roxie. You responded to my concern of gaining weight. Your kind and supportive words were extremely appreciated. It sounds like we have some things in common. I can totally relate to what you are saying. I would be so happy if I could get rid of the bloating. I'm trying so hard to be gluten free, but it's so crazy, because now I'm reading about things I may have never thought of like vitamins, medicines, and lipstick. This disease is so much work! It also sounds like you are very active. I envy you. I used to also be very active, and had started running. However, I hurt my back very badly, and I have scoliosis. My doctor said that I should stick to pilates and yoga. My physical appearance is extremely important to me, and I would give anything to be able to run or bike again. Maybe someday I will be able to resume some of those activities. Right now I am mostly trying to stick to a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, brown rice, and chicken. But, I discovered the gluten free mall, and I have been ordering gluten free chips, cookies, and crackers like crazy (and that is probably really bad)! I also tried gluten free bread last night, but thought it was gross. I'm going to try and stay clear of breads though. Anyway, we should stick together. I know my Husband and family probably get SO TIRED of me talking about my celiac disease and my bloated stomach. It's really nice to talk with someone who shares my problems. Thanks. Roxie

Join eNewsletter

Guest hightop girl

I understand about the bloating too. It does get better. Mine was really bad. I have a 23" waist normally (so I really have nothing to complain about) but when I eat something with gluten it can expand to 28-29". I have found that cutting out milk as well, diet coke, and dried fruit has helped. I also did a lot of detox baths with epsom salt, ginger and baking soda. You can find the directions on line. I do try to steer clear of the gluten free pasta, bread, etc, just because I don't really need them.

You can feel free to vent, etc. to me any time.

Join eNewsletter

I got interested when I read what you said about the detox bath. I looked it up on the internet and found the recipe. I'm going to try it. What were the main benefits that you got from it?? Did it make you feel better, and Less Bloated?? Thanks! Roxie

Join eNewsletter

Guest hightop girl

I was less bloated, my joint swelling goes away, and I slept much better. Plus, I work out and beat myself up too much, and this was just something nice for my body.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter