Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ENF

5-htp Not Recommended For Celiacs

I have noticed that 5-HTP, which I take daily, is not recommended by some manufacturers for people with gut problems, including Celiac. My intestinal problems are much, much milder than before going gluten-free, even with taking 5-HtP. I am hesitant to stop using it, because I'm afraid that I'll have to go back on anti-depressants.

The label on Nature's Way 5-HTP says, "Those suffering from gut disorders such as ulcers, irritable bowel disease, Crohn's disease, celiac disease, etc., should not use 5-HTP." Other manufacturers advise Celiacs to seek medical advice before comsuming it.

Has anybody found 5-HTP to be a problem? I don't have severe reactions from it, but I am considering stopping it, or lowering the dosage, just for a while to see if there is any improvement. I am willing to put up with mild discomfort if necessary, as long as there is no lasting damage.

Celiac diagnosis from positive blood work & endoscope (2005)

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 Subtype 2,8 (double Celiac genes)

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

From what I understand, 5 htp can give some the big "d". You don't want to have celiac "d" and complicate it with 5 htp "d". If you are not experiencing "d" from 5 htp, you should be OK. I was told when we started it to reduce the dose if the "d" hit.

Shellfish free since 1980

Milk free (all forms) since 1991

Feingold in 2003

First gluten-free round 2007

Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

Join eNewsletter

From what I understand, 5 htp can give some the big "d". You don't want to have celiac "d" and complicate it with 5 htp "d". If you are not experiencing "d" from 5 htp, you should be OK. I was told when we started it to reduce the dose if the "d" hit.

Thank you, that is very reassuring. I don't get the "Big D" very often anymore - and my health has improved immensly since being diagnosed and going gluten-free three years ago. So, I am going to reduce the 5-HTP dosages a bit, and take it with meals from now on. I was previously taking it between meals, before I knew about it's potential side effects. It's also possible that I was taking too large a dosage.

I suspect that the warnings regarding 5-HTP are mostly addressing people with Celiac that have not healed enough, and would be overly sensitive to it.

Celiac diagnosis from positive blood work & endoscope (2005)

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 Subtype 2,8 (double Celiac genes)

Join eNewsletter

I was previously taking it between meals, before I knew about it's potential side effects. It's also possible that I was taking too large a dosage.

Owie!! I HAVE to take it with food!

Shellfish free since 1980

Milk free (all forms) since 1991

Feingold in 2003

First gluten-free round 2007

Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

Join eNewsletter

I'm not diagnosed yet. But I've been taking 5-HTP for about five years.

I can't see me giving it up either. I have had times where I've been able to quit taking it for

months at a time. But when I get stressed enough....that's what I take. It helps me think before

I act.

4/30/2008 Went Gluten Free

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0202

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,7)

3/19/2009 11 Months Gluten Free:Gluten Sensitivity Stool Test

Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 21 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter