This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

5-htp Not Recommended For Celiacs

ENF

ENF Enthusiast

I have noticed that 5-HTP, which I take daily, is not recommended by some manufacturers for people with gut problems, including Celiac. My intestinal problems are much, much milder than before going gluten-free, even with taking 5-HtP. I am hesitant to stop using it, because I'm afraid that I'll have to go back on anti-depressants.

The label on Nature's Way 5-HTP says, "Those suffering from gut disorders such as ulcers, irritable bowel disease, Crohn's disease, celiac disease, etc., should not use 5-HTP." Other manufacturers advise Celiacs to seek medical advice before comsuming it.

Has anybody found 5-HTP to be a problem? I don't have severe reactions from it, but I am considering stopping it, or lowering the dosage, just for a while to see if there is any improvement. I am willing to put up with mild discomfort if necessary, as long as there is no lasting damage.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mom23boys Contributor

From what I understand, 5 htp can give some the big "d". You don't want to have celiac "d" and complicate it with 5 htp "d". If you are not experiencing "d" from 5 htp, you should be OK. I was told when we started it to reduce the dose if the "d" hit.

ENF Enthusiast
From what I understand, 5 htp can give some the big "d". You don't want to have celiac "d" and complicate it with 5 htp "d". If you are not experiencing "d" from 5 htp, you should be OK. I was told when we started it to reduce the dose if the "d" hit.

Thank you, that is very reassuring. I don't get the "Big D" very often anymore - and my health has improved immensly since being diagnosed and going gluten-free three years ago. So, I am going to reduce the 5-HTP dosages a bit, and take it with meals from now on. I was previously taking it between meals, before I knew about it's potential side effects. It's also possible that I was taking too large a dosage.

I suspect that the warnings regarding 5-HTP are mostly addressing people with Celiac that have not healed enough, and would be overly sensitive to it.

Mom23boys Contributor
I was previously taking it between meals, before I knew about it's potential side effects. It's also possible that I was taking too large a dosage.

Owie!! I HAVE to take it with food!

• 2 weeks later...
Crimson Rookie

I'm not diagnosed yet. But I've been taking 5-HTP for about five years.

I can't see me giving it up either. I have had times where I've been able to quit taking it for

months at a time. But when I get stressed enough....that's what I take. It helps me think before

I act.

Archived