Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jaimek

Foot Cramps

Hello! Just wanted to see if anyone else got frequent foot cramps? I have been gluten-free for about a year now and I have realized that I am constantly getting horrible foot cramps. Just wondering if it has anything to do with Celiac. Would love to hear your thoughts/opinions. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I've been gluten-free for about a year and a half. I started to get cramps in

my feet after starting the diet. I think it may be from not

getting enough calcium. I can't drink milk but I do eat a piece

of cheese from time to time.

I also discovered that I have pre-diabetes and if my blood sugar is

even slightly elevated I will get a cramp in one or both feet.

I'm going to mention it to my family doctor next month. Have you

had your blood sugar checked?

I have Osteopenia so I take 3 calcium supplements a day and also drink a lot of milk and eat cheese constantly. I am pretty sure that I got tested for Diabetes when I was diagnosed with Celiac and the tests came back negative. I am having another endoscopy tomorrow so I will ask my doctor then. Let me know what your doctor says!

You might not be getting enough potassium. Of course, your feet also just might need stretching more, too! I get muscle spasms all over my body, feet, legs, and back mainly. The only thing I can do for it is make sure I get enough vitamins and minerals, stretch, and sometimes use muscle relaxers. Doc doesn't know what causes them, so I am pretty much on my own as far as treating them. Talk to your doc, maybe you will get some answers.

Hi,

Potassium is the most common thought when someone mentions muscle cramps. However, I was eating a banana(lots of postasium) every day, but I was having a lot of cramps, mostly at night, before I was diagnosed with celiac disease. After I started taking magnesium (as part of my mineral supplementation for osteopenia), my muscle cramps went away.

Check out this web site for more info on magnesium...

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/cc/magn.html

Mike

i get cramps in my arches when my thyroid medication is insufficient. it usually happens at night, while i'm asleep. i used to get them all the time before they knew i was hypothyroid. have you had your thyroid checked?

I get them too... strange ones that seem to involve the muscles on the top part of my foot... a place that seems to "thin" to have lots of muscle.

I even tried the bar of soap under my sheet between my feet as I read in the newspaper was helpful to some... haha... did nothing for me!

Guest laughs8

I get pains in the arches of my feet too...as well as my ankles. They were really bad before going gluten-free (about two years ago) but have eased up for the most part. This past week, though, they've gotten really bad and I have no idea why--sorry I can't be of any help, but at least I can share in the misery :)