This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Friendly (not A Chain) In San Diego

Carbo

Carbo Newbie

I will be in San Diego for a meeting in May. Staying at the Manchester Grand Hyatt. Where do you eat? What restaurants would you trust? Are there farmer's markets nearby? Any place I should definitely avoid? Not interested in going to a "chain" restaurant. Diagnosed with Celiac in September 2007....Still struggling....please advise...thank you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

babysteps Contributor

check out Open Original Shared Link they have many non-chain restaurants listed

worth a call ahead to the Manchester Grand Hyatt to see how gluten aware they are

In addition, thinking about what's close-

Molly's is next door to the Hyatt (you can walk there along the marina esplanade), they don't have a gluten-free menu but should be able to accommodate you (I haven't eaten there but did talk to the chef at a food festival and he was aware).

Top of the Market, (upstairs) at Fish Market (also a restaurant, not as pricey), is at the Tuna Harbor about 2 long blocks west of the Hyatt - this is a 'mini' chain (company has 3 "Top" and not sure maybe 10 "Market" across the west) but very tasty, they were able to accommodate me - again, no specifically gluten-free menu.

For breakfast, Richard Walker's Pancake House is about 4 short blocks east from the Hyatt (on Front between Market and Harbor), I did get an omelet there without being glutened.

If you focus on local, made-from-scratch type places and go through a gluten-free speech you should do fine. Some of the Gaslamp neighborhood restaurants get very crowded and touristy, those could be more of a challenge. My favorite restricted dining protocol is at Open Original Shared Link

(No, I don't live in SD but I do visit there a few times a year)

Oh, and the El Indio tortilla chips (corn, oil, salt, paprika) are *amazing* and addictive, if you are good with corn and like chips, I would encourage you to buy some if you see them (grocery store or convenience stand, or I they may sell them at their Little Italy restaurant).

There is a full grocery store - I think it's a Von's - between 1st & second at Market (door is on the block 1 north of Market) about 6-7 blocks from the Manchester Grand Hyatt.

Have a great time at the conference!

Carbo Newbie
check out Open Original Shared Link they have many non-chain restaurants listed

worth a call ahead to the Manchester Grand Hyatt to see how gluten aware they are

In addition, thinking about what's close-

Molly's is next door to the Hyatt (you can walk there along the marina esplanade), they don't have a gluten-free menu but should be able to accommodate you (I haven't eaten there but did talk to the chef at a food festival and he was aware).

Top of the Market, (upstairs) at Fish Market (also a restaurant, not as pricey), is at the Tuna Harbor about 2 long blocks west of the Hyatt - this is a 'mini' chain (company has 3 "Top" and not sure maybe 10 "Market" across the west) but very tasty, they were able to accommodate me - again, no specifically gluten-free menu.

For breakfast, Richard Walker's Pancake House is about 4 short blocks east from the Hyatt (on Front between Market and Harbor), I did get an omelet there without being glutened.

If you focus on local, made-from-scratch type places and go through a gluten-free speech you should do fine. Some of the Gaslamp neighborhood restaurants get very crowded and touristy, those could be more of a challenge. My favorite restricted dining protocol is at Open Original Shared Link

(No, I don't live in SD but I do visit there a few times a year)

Oh, and the El Indio tortilla chips (corn, oil, salt, paprika) are *amazing* and addictive, if you are good with corn and like chips, I would encourage you to buy some if you see them (grocery store or convenience stand, or I they may sell them at their Little Italy restaurant).

There is a full grocery store - I think it's a Von's - between 1st & second at Market (door is on the block 1 north of Market) about 6-7 blocks from the Manchester Grand Hyatt.

Have a great time at the conference!

Mango04 Enthusiast

These places are not directly downtown, but not too far either if you rent a car:

Hillcrest Farmer's Market - on Sundays - it's really great

Ranchos Mexican Restaurant - organic mexican - I usually get the veggie plate

Ranchos Vegan Market - many gluten-free items - next door to the restaurant

Cilantros Live - a few locations throughout SD

I've heard good things about the Linkery in North Park, but have never eaten there

OB Organic People's co-op - in Ocean Beach - a health food store and a cafe

Whole Foods in Hillcrest (a chain yes, but you can always stop in to pick up lunch if you need too)

Good luck and have fun!

Nancym Enthusiast

I read a review about another gluten friendly restaurant called "The Better Half" at 127 University in Hillcrest. The newspaper review actually mentioned they're great with gluten free requests. I'm planning to go soon!

• 9 months later...
mslee Apprentice

Too late to help Carbo, but I wanted to put in a good word for a few places I enjoyed while visiting family back home in SD....

1) YES! Ranchos in OB was super good, went there twice wait staff was very knowledgeable & helpful. It is more Healthy/CA Mex but has a huge menu & everything my we had was great!

2) The Kensington Grill Open Original Shared Link

Has a great Happy Hour, I was unsure of what to get asked our waitress she recommended an seared ahi salad that was delicious! ...but wait it gets better! ...she came back & told me the chef has Celiac & he made my dish special making sure it was safe. A little pricey for dinner but wonderful food & nice atmosphere. Good deals for happy hour.

3) El Zarape in University Heights/South Park Speaking Spanish may be helpful here, but I was told the seafood tacos are cooked with only garlic salt & pepper & served on a corn tortilla. That seems like what I got, & it was very good did not have a reaction. Very small hole in the wall place in a neat part of town. Very good quick healthier MX food.

Open Original Shared Link

4) Burger Lounge in La Jolla, Open Original Shared Link

Yeah they have burgers, and I got one without a bun...but they use grass fed free range beef without fillers in their burgers. They didn't seem real knowledgeable about gluten free, but it was a small family run place & the manager was happy to make me a safe burger they also have salads & fries that I guessed were not safe because they also serve fried chicken tenders & onion rings.

Enjoy!

They seem alot more Celiac friendly there than where I live these days...miss the good food!

• 2 months later...
SandraK Newbie

Any recommendations for places near Poway? (About 20 mins north of downtown SD).

Thanks!

Sandra

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived