Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A-Swiss

A Really Good Experience!

Well, I just wanted to share this because this is the first time in 2 weeks that I have not felt like I want to punch someone or hide in a corner over this stuff:

I have tried to venture to 2 restaurants and fully expected to just give up when ordering and stick with a salad. My experience, however, was well more than I expected -

The first (Waldo Pizza in Kansas City) was my primary attempt to get something out of the house. They were advertised to have a gluten free menu. I ordered what I thought was a good pizza (half sliced steak, half meatball) on the gluten free crust. The lady seemed to be a bit snotty and just wrote it down. I figured "hey, it's a pizza place, not the Ritz" and waited to see what concoction they came up with. After about 2 minutes the waitress comes back and says "I wasn't quite sure, so I asked the cook about what you ordered. He agreed that the meatballs are a wildcard for you, so you should just do hamburger - not the meatballs". Wow! someone actually thought far enough down the line to make sure the order itself was good for me. She got a big tip!

The second (Pei Wei) is a chain chinese/thia place. They also had a gluten free menu, though it wasn't posted. When I went to the counter to ask, the guy had it on a magnet by the ordering desk and handed it to me. I had 5 choices with no descriptions, so I picked the name that sounded decent (Pei Wei Spicy). They guy at the desk (not the guy I ordered it from) hand delivered it to me and it looked like generals chicken. Before I could open my mouth, he said "I wanted to make sure you knew the breading was potato flour, so you are OK". Way cool.

So that is my long winded attempt at being excited. Finally some normacy and better service than I have had in years.

A Good Friend can keep a secret. A Best Friend will help you bury the bodies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Isn't it great when they get it right!!! It just makes your whole day, or night, or week, or whatever.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007

IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive

Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008

Soy free Jan 09

Fab!! You DO get BETTER Service eating gluten-free out. I always get to meet the chefs at the nicer places. :)

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!