Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wakefield

Just Diagnosed With Celiac

I was just diagnosed on Friday evening with celiac and am so happy to have found this site. Both my parents have been in hospital for 3 weeks and are very ill so you can imagine my stress level. I had no apparent reason to believe that I had any health issues until I went for a regular physical last week and found out that I was anemic. I have been gaining weight which is most unusual for me and then suddenly last week I lost 18 pounds. Wednesday I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy with biopsy and now I know. I find I am beyond exhausted--which I thought was due to my parents condition--and my heart pounds with any exertion. I am most eager to learn from all of you and have never ever posted on a forum before so I do not know if this is the correct place. I know my diet must change--although I have never eaten that much bread etc. I do wear makeup and am crushed it that is going to be an issue. I have started to read the internet and soap and medicines are also an issue? Thanks in advance for your help.

Wakefield

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am so sorry. I do not know how to use a forum and I clicked to reply and messed everything up. I can't thank you enough for the list. I will start right now. Wakefield.

I am so sorry. I do not know how to use a forum and I clicked to reply and messed everything up. I can't thank you enough for the list. I will start right now. Wakefield.

No need to apologize. It can be tricky if you have never participated in a forum before. You'll be a pro in no time.

When you click on the reply button that is part of the post window, it will then quote what has been previously said. Which is good if there are several posts, but you want to respond to one post in particular. You can also then edit/take out some of that quoted post, if you just want to respond to part of it.

But you just add what you want to say underneath or above it, and then click on 'add reply'. If you want to see what it looks like and if you have done it right, you click on 'preview' to check if it looks right, and if your links work (if you have added any).

If you don't want to quote anything, you click on the 'reply' button that is farther down (as you have apparently done for the above quoted post).

I didn't follow all of those links, so don't know what advice you got this far.

Just take a deep breath. There is lots of makeup out there that is guaranteed gluten-free. I can't tell you which brands, because I don't wear makeup. But others can help you there. It takes some time to learn how to live gluten-free, but believe me, you will figure it out and soon it will be easy.

In the meantime, the easiest and least stressful way to eat would be to just eat naturally gluten-free foods like meat, vegetables, fruit, fish and eggs. If you have prepared it from scratch, you don't have to worry.

And it might be best if for now you also eliminate dairy, and probably soy, as those can hinder healing.

That must be tough to have both your parents in the hospital at the same time. Are they suffering from the same problem? I hope they will be better soon.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------