Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheMinsterman

A Weak-positive Newbie

Hey everyone, I am so glad to have found these forums.

Basically, in early February this year I awoke with spinning vertigo and after 3 monthes of battling, I still have fluid in my left ear which keeps coming back and may be Perilymph Fistula!

At any rate, duing this time I have had terrible bowel movements and gone from 16 stone to almost 14! I had a blood test and they discovered a weak positive for Celiacs.

I was wondering how likely it is I do have Celiacs with such a result? I am having a endoscopy (at some point, my GP is getting annoyed at the NHS for ignoring her calls to speed it up!) to confirm or disprove this.

I have had no life for 3 monthes, terrible head symptoms and brain symptoms from my inner ear disorder, terrible stomach cramps and movements, weight loss and the sense that my body isn't really there (could well be because of my inner ear issues, I hope!).

I have tried gluten free for week and a half, as advised, but the anti-biotics I was on tonked me out so it did little, of course now I have to eat gluten for the endoscopy to be worth the bother.

A very frustrated (but delighted to have found this forum) Minsterman!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Any postive on the blood test is positive. Even one degree into the positive levels is a positive as was seen in my family. Even if the damage is minor when you have your endo you still need to be on the diet. With neuro symptoms thrown in there and the amount of time you have been ill you may not yet have enough damage on endo to have the doctors clearly say you are celiac but even if that is the case you need the diet to prevent you from getting to that point.

Welcome to the boards and I hope you are feeling better soon.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes I figured it probably is going to confirm it all, I just wish they'd hurry up so I can stop eating gluten, the moment its done I will be stopping, don't particuarly care for waiting for any results, want to stop as soon as I can!

I have read about weak positive sometimes been found to truly be negative in cases and even positives that end up being negatives.

As my GP told me, if I have Perilymph Fistula (a tear in the inner ear) I will also be leaking Cerebral Spinal Fluid, which goes straight down your throat into your stomach and this too could be the root cause of my woes, it also makes the brain sag and which can cause the neurological symptoms as it presses on the area of your brain that controls anxiety and movement etc.

2008 has been awesome :lol: