This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mars, Tootsie And More

bakingbarb

bakingbarb Enthusiast

Of course I love my candy, especially chocolate. BUT I worry about hidden contamination so I have been learning to check labels and then company websites.

Here is good news I think, Open Original Shared Link

"All Tootsie products are gluten-, peanut-, and nut product-free. Tootsie does not use wheat, barley, rye, oats, triticale, spelt, or any of their components, either as ingredients or as part of the manufacturing process.

Corn and soy products are used during the manufacturing process."

Mars has all the info Open Original Shared LinkJust pick the brand and the info is right there.

And here is a Open Original Shared Link with food allergy info. I just found this and haven't had much time to browse but it looks helpful.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

Funny they dont list wheat on the allergen list for the Seeds of Change noodle dishes although its on the ingredient list.

Same with Milky Way, malted barley is on the ingredient list but not the allergy list ..

We still have to read it all and they sure need to update their site!

ken

Of course I love my candy, especially chocolate. BUT I worry about hidden contamination so I have been learning to check labels and then company websites.

Here is good news I think, Open Original Shared Link

"All Tootsie products are gluten-, peanut-, and nut product-free. Tootsie does not use wheat, barley, rye, oats, triticale, spelt, or any of their components, either as ingredients or as part of the manufacturing process.

Corn and soy products are used during the manufacturing process."

Mars has all the info Open Original Shared LinkJust pick the brand and the info is right there.

And here is a Open Original Shared Link with food allergy info. I just found this and haven't had much time to browse but it looks helpful.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I just looked up the Milky Way, and malted barley was NOT on the ingredient list. Did they change their recipe, or did they just leave it out?

And the allergy statement for the Twix Bar doesn't mention wheat, even though it IS on the ingredient list!!!! It just says, "may contain peanuts." WHat about WHEAT, for heaven's sake???????

home-based-mom Contributor

I have noticed that a lot of products do not repeat allergens in their statements. I suppose because it might be considered redundant?

So if "wheat" is listed as an ingredient, it will not be listed below with the allergen list which may just say "processed in a facility that also processes peanuts."

I guess they figure they told you "wheat" was there in the ingredient list and once was enough. :blink:

psawyer Proficient

The top eight allergens must, by law, be disclosed either in the ingredient list, or in a "contains" message which is in type no smaller than the ingredient list.

Some companies do both, but the law requires only one or the other. You must still read the full ingredient list and look for a "contains" statement.

kenlove Rising Star

Peter, I would guess the law applies to the packaging and not a web site.

I think their site is somewhat misleading, if not confusing to the average user.

If they are trying to be helpful it wouldn't hurt them to put allergens onto the site as well as the ingredient lists.

Can't be that hard to type a few extra words!

Ken

The top eight allergens must, by law, be disclosed either in the ingredient list, or in a "contains" message which is in type no smaller than the ingredient list.

Some companies do both, but the law requires only one or the other. You must still read the full ingredient list and look for a "contains" statement.

kenlove Rising Star

Malted Barley is there:

"MILK CHOCOLATE (SUGAR, COCOA BUTTER, SKIM MILK, CHOCOLATE, LACTOSE, MILKFAT, SOY LECITHIN, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR), CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL, SKIM MILK, LESS THAN 2% - MILKFAT, COCOA POWDER PROCESSED WITH ALKALI, LACTOSE, MALTED BARLEY, WHEAT FLOUR, SALT, EGG WHITES, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR."

Once you click on Milky Way you have to click on original. It's not on the Midnight Milky Way.

Not only is their site bad but the packing is misleading as well. Peter is right that we still have to read the ingredients list and not rely on allergy lists.

ken

I just looked up the Milky Way, and malted barley was NOT on the ingredient list. Did they change their recipe, or did they just leave it out?

And the allergy statement for the Twix Bar doesn't mention wheat, even though it IS on the ingredient list!!!! It just says, "may contain peanuts." WHat about WHEAT, for heaven's sake???????

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I didn't even realize from that web site that there WERE 2 milky ways...You're right, lousy web site.

kenlove Rising Star

I dont think they do this intentionally but it sure is misleading -- like the other thread on rice dream milk that doesnt list that it was process with barley enzyme.

Has anyone on the forum or other place ever formed a proactive group to take these companies to task, write letters etc?

Perhaps like AARP or other groups that speak for a particular industry or illness. COuld see a full page ad in make or newspapers someday listing things like this...

ken

I didn't even realize from that web site that there WERE 2 milky ways...You're right, lousy web site.
bakingbarb Enthusiast

I agree with your complaint that the Mars candy company website isn't as complete as it should be BUT at least they tried. Hershey on the other hand hides it completely. Poor website yes but you all forgot something, its better then a complete hide or ignoring totally.

Oh and did you want to add anything about tootsie or was complaining the only thing you all could think of? <_<

Oh and maybe we all should write them commending them on trying but suggesting the improvement they could make.

Archived